Notices

Thread: Exhaust db's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Exhaust db's 
    Aidbox
    Spent the afternoon yesterday fitting a new exhaust system, Black Widow pipes and Delkevic silencer.

Got it all done and looks great. Started it up and it was a great sound but even louder than the broken exhaust I just removed !

Took it out for a run and it does sound good but I don't really like my bike being too loud. Checked the Delkevic website and discovered the silencer I bought on a UK website is not legal in the UK !
    Why would a supplier in the UK supply a non compliant exhaust silencer to a UK customer for a road bike !?!

I'm assuming that some people do use these on the road and just chance it. It surely can't be for track use as they also have limits.

Fortunately Delkevic are very reasonably priced so I've managed to order another, buying both of them still comes in a lot cheaper than OEM silencer.

Just wondered if there was anything I could do with the baffle to try and reduce the noise and mean I have a spare exhaust?

Live and learn eh !

Edit: Can't believe I was considering leaving the baffle out, although I'm interested to know what that sounds like !
    Last edited by Aidbox; 24-03-16 at 05:22 PM.

Platinum Member
    Stick a DB killer in it, i have a unbaffled Micron on mine (it's a race can, no baffle fitted), it's not overly loud, but i carry a db killer under the seat just in case the filth get lairy.

Aidbox
    Thanks for that Mitch.

Just looked at the Delkevic db killers and it's what I already have in.

Am hopefully out on the hot cross bun run tomorrow so will do a comparison with other bikes.

Platinum Member
    Ah ok then, if it's got a baffle in, i doubt it will be illegal because of the volume, if you're that bothered http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E1-BSAU-st...kAAOSwx-9W00Ty

What makes you think specifically it's not UK legal?

Unless marked "Track Use Only", "Not For Road Use" or similar then it's not specifically illegal on the road (and those markings have a terrible habit of vanishing when carefully polished). I've also got an unbaffled Micron system on mine and at 16k RPM it's pretty fruity but passed MOT a fortnight ago.

Platinum Member
    ZX9r i had with a Hawk exhaust on, jesus H, it would give me a headache with earbuds in on full volume, pity the twunt in the van didn't hear me approaching his side as he pulled out

Aidbox
    Might not be as bad as I, or my neighbours thought then (only joking).

The Delkevic listing for the muffler says not UK legal.
    http://www.delkevic.co.uk/index.php?...oduct_id=11051

Aidbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch9128 View Post
    ZX9r i had with a Hawk exhaust on, jesus H, it would give me a headache with earbuds in on full volume, pity the twunt in the van didn't hear me approaching his side as he pulled out
    I must admit I did prefer the fact that those in front did seem to notice me a little bit sooner. I guess there are some people who are completely oblivious to all other road users though !

Aidbox
    Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    What makes you think specifically it's not UK legal?

Unless marked "Track Use Only", "Not For Road Use" or similar then it's not specifically illegal on the road (and those markings have a terrible habit of vanishing when carefully polished). I've also got an unbaffled Micron system on mine and at 16k RPM it's pretty fruity but passed MOT a fortnight ago.
    What happened with your bike, last time I was on here I thought your frame was twisted up?

Whats a baffle? I dont bother with the road bike, and only fit one to the trackbike when theres levels to pass, especially for Coombe, I have to wrap the baffle to reduce the db level, I use a type of glass tape wrap held in place with stainless tie wire.