Notices

Thread: Right you clever lot ???

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Following on from Mitch's post - have you done any work on the engine lately? Are all the head/casings bolts torqued down tight? Expanding metal on heating up may be creating distortion and loss of an airtight contact. Suffered a similar problem many years ago with a car's cylinder head not being tightened down correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch9128 View Post
    When did you last do the shims? Get's hot and closes up? Possible?
    Thanks Mitch, I'm hoping that's not the case ,I had the clearances checked and 3 shims fitted just over 3000 miles ago , by what I believe to be a reputable and trustworthy workshop checking the clearances on this bike isn't too much of a ball ache , but shim replacement is a bit more of task ! But I'll be checking the clearances at least .

typical customer !!! has a problem then later on tells you they only have had the problem since they did....see it a lot.
    if its only happened since you were in the electric nest, chances are that that is where your problem is. if it is the tip over sensor , you may have moved it so when you lean around bends or hit a bump it moves and cuts out. once righted, gravity might let it fall down and re set itself.
    I would still look at cooling getting to coils as when they cool down they would work again. meters are ok but as with heat , under operating heat, vibrations etc you will get different readings which could show they are good

Quote Originally Posted by wheelers View Post
    typical customer !!! has a problem then later on tells you they only have had the problem since they did....see it a lot.
    if its only happened since you were in the electric nest, chances are that that is where your problem is. if it is the tip over sensor , you may have moved it so when you lean around bends or hit a bump it moves and cuts out. once righted, gravity might let it fall down and re set itself.
    I would still look at cooling getting to coils as when they cool down they would work again. meters are ok but as with heat , under operating heat, vibrations etc you will get different readings which could show they are good

I'm not a typical customer !!! I haven't named anyone , I'm merely stating what the bike has had done to it and when it was done , and that I felt that I could trust the outfit who carried out the work , I was responding to Mitch's post in the hope that I could strike the valves off the list .
    That's part of the reason this forum has seen better days , any time someone reaches out on a thread like this , to try and get to the bottom of a problem they may have , some smart arse , with a chip on his shoulder comes along and veers right off course !

Sorry Dabz ! Got issues with the bike and not really in the mood for Bollox !!!

Ok Dumb suggestion amnesty please.

Have you checked all the connectors are in properly?

Have you checked the battery terminals are tight?

Have you checked all the ground connections are good?
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

I would have thought if valve related you would have noticed other symptoms earlier.

I know F all about FI but if the lines/breather/etc is all good then that would be the next logical step.

Is the fuel pump operating properly?

Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    I would have thought if valve related you would have noticed other symptoms earlier.

I know F all about FI but if the lines/breather/etc is all good then that would be the next logical step.

Is the fuel pump operating properly?
    When the ignition is turned on the pump primes as it always has , and I've been in the garage today blowing down the breather hose and it seems to be obstruction free .

The next step is removing the new lighting and harness I fitted and re- installing the stock lighting .

I hope you've got to the bottom of the fault, I'd be interested to know what was the cause. If not, I have a tale...

Out of interest, how did the engine perform just prior to packing up each time? I only ask as I had a similarly annoying intermittent problem with a car a while back; in the seconds before cutting out it would seem a little hesitant to rev and then sound flat and stop, wait half hour and it was perfect again for another half hour... turned out to be an internal collapse of the exhaust!

Platinum Member
    What about the fuel pressure regulator, the diaphragm inside could be playing up when it gets hot, as could the fuel pump, 2.2 Vauxhalls are renowned for it, it was even on Watchdog, i know, i flippin had one When it went, it was only apparent when the engine got up to temp, let it cool down and the all was pucker. Have you checked the vacuum line from the fpr isn't pissing out fuel?

As for customers moaning, why do dealers think most customers do all the work themselves?