Notices

Thread: Buying Cat C or D insurance write off

1. Buying Cat C or D insurance write off 
    Does any have any experience in buying the above from an insurance company. Having read many times that these bikes are available, it seems hard to find any, other than dealers who want the same price that you'd expect to pay for a tatty version of the same bike. Looking for a Triumph 675 to use on track and a shinning example seems like overkill if it ends up down the road or gets continually scratched lugging it in and out of a van. Any info appreciated.

Cheers

Banned
    Hi

Yes I have bought a few. There is a market for them to break for parts too so that is your competition and can affect price. I've only bought auction. I don't think you'll find a way in to buy straight off the insurers, but the recovery companies can sell on their behalf.

There is a seller on ebay called 4th Dimension, greater london way I think heathrow area. They get a reasonable amount of stuff in and out. Only used them once, bike did turn out to have a knackered engine which wasn't identified / noted on the listing, but buyer beware, you take that risk (i've rarely looked at stuff hands on before bidding).

Most of the time I've bought though Hills Actions in Skelmesdale. They sell online with a collection of other recovery / breakers nationally. It does cost now to register and bid but not as much as I think you would find copart or BCA.

Banned
    4th dimension sell under name surrey mc salvage

register with copart at Westbury or Bristol. they sell cat B,C or D bikes on Fridays, but check damaged areas, such as cracks to frame. problem is you will be fighting against breakers, who actually break bikes in better condition than some road bikes and also bid against Polish and Eastern block buyers as its the only way a lot of them can get them

Still some bargains to be had, saw a cat D in bike Aid last week bought at auction for penny's, you could ride it away if you wanted it was so good, I was gutted to find out it was bought for a couple of grand, ridden out of the dealers and dropped I think