Notices

Thread: GM Stevens Trowbridge closing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. GM Stevens Trowbridge closing 
    I see GM Stevens in Trowbridge are closing and have got 25% off all stock if any one is interested.

The website says they are leaving the shop on 1 April but are looking for a new location.

That's it got some good bargains there thought it was a bit odd their sign said closing when yeah theyre just moving somewhere cheaper! still going to be in tro-vegas though
    00 Piagio Liberty 50
    83 Kawasaki AR50
    95 Honda C90
    53 Piaggio X9 125
    06 Piaggio X9 Evo 125
    95 Yamaha XJ600 Diversion
    74 KTM Auto Deluxe (1 of 4 remaining)
    95 Honda CB250
    93 Kawasaki GPZ305 (1 of 15 remaining)
    98 Aprilia Pegaso 650

hope they find somewhere to move to, they're a very useful shop!
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

Diamond Member
    I spoke to the older brother (think they are brothers) on Saturday and he said at the moment he's not too fussed about starting with another shop.
    They are online and will carry on with that unless just the right place comes up.

Another victim of the internet, people use them for getting a nut or bolt but then but all the bigger stuff from on-line discounters (I'm sad to say, I'm as bad as anybody for doing that) although over the summer months I seem to be in there buying small stuff most weeks!
    I'll miss being able to show them a broken funny shaped bolt and having them delve into the back room and come out with a new one the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    I'll miss being able to show them a broken funny shaped bolt and having them delve into the back room and come out with a new one the same.

I only have one vice…I lie.

Diamond Member
    Whitworth I recon ;-)

always dropped In for customer parts on a sundays when we couldn't get them through the trade. reason a lot of us are shutting is the likes of ebay or the bigger on line traders offering prices cheaper than we can buy through the trade. tyre pairs £30 cheaper than they get them for, chain lubes £25 cheaper than our suppliers, as you have said, if you want a nut or bolt or a call out for a loose connection costs us time and money we cant charge for.
    I did hear months ago, GMS were going on line only but if you called and arranged they would sell from the door.

I thought they actually owned the building. The shop always seemed busier when they had customer's bikes for sale in the front, that must have got people through the door.

No it was a lease so suspect still the same. Years ago you had to have the whole building including the flat above which was a heavy load for any business. I don't know if still the same but doesn't seem to be anyone in the rest of the place. Perhaps they have decided enough is enough if they can continue on line. I always got on well with both of them and shall miss them as they were handy for us.
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

they originally had the whole building, but, as the landlord wanted more money they condensed, the landlord then tried renting out the other part. he couldn't rent it so tried upping the rent again to cover the loss. they condensed again and he still couldn't get a renter. he is probably worse off now than if he had let GMS continue as they were.

the last I heard , is that Appetito who own the factory behind them, want the building as an office or reception . I suspect the landlord has had an offer too good to refuse ...