Notices

Thread: Guy Martin: When you dead, you dead.

1. Guy Martin: When you dead, you dead. 
    Just finished reading Guy's new book after really enjoying the first one.
    It's a good read but the thing that comes across most is what a knob he is.
    He's got people bending over backwards to accommodate him and his attitude is basically "I didn't ask you to do it so sod off"
    The worst part for me is the way he talks about his fans.
    To him they're a pain in the ass and an inconvenience.
    He makes no connection between their loyalty and the opportunities that get sent his way.
    Without them there would be no tv shows, no Dainese deal, no free vans, bikes or cycles.
    Yet he has no problem getting his sister to sell them his mugs, hats and t-shirts at events.
    In one chapter he calls John McGuiness a sell out for turning up to the TT when he wasn't race fit, just to see the fans.
    Unbelievable!

I got this book for Christmas so looking forward to reading it. I must admit his whole "I'm just a truck mechanic" thing is wearing thin now...he's not "just" a mechanic when he has multiple successful TV shows, a book deal and major sponsorship.
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

Platinum Member
    He's always had what seems a disrespect for his fans, numerous times he was booked to open an HG shop, or an appearance at an J&S shop, and just didn't turn up with no warning, when hundreds had turned up to see him. A mate spotted him at some services in the Midlands one time, tried to get him to pose for a pic, to be told to 'leave it out mate, i've just come in for a piss'. I wonder how much is down to his Aspergers though, and not because he's a 'see you next tuesday'? Either way, he could take a leaf from Guinness, or Johnson or Rutter, or most of the road racers, who can't do enough for their fans, and are arguably way better riders.

Mardy or what?

Last edited by Mitch9128; 03-02-16 at 02:27 PM.

Don't let this put you off as it's still a great book.
    He glosses over the free stuff and sponsorship deals almost implying he just lets them use his image in return for kit as he likes their stuff.
    Never mentions the hundreds of thousands he gets.

His Grandfather must have been Burt Munroe... "When your dead, your dead" was a quote from Worlds Fastest Indian

And when he got his dog he was saying it was named after you know who, the black Labrador in The Dam Busters as it was the nearest name he could use, in the book he says it's named after some bloke called Nigel

Totally agree with you Wiltshire Builders

I was stood very close to him at the Bike Show 4 or 5 years ago looking at the custom bikes, couldn't be arsed to even speak to him. I'm a far bigger fan of Michael Dunlop

Platinum Member
    It's an ok book, read it last year

http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/sho...l=1#post474855

Reading it at the moment, quite funny in parts. I watched people chasing him through the paddock at the NW 200, can't be arsed myself, would rather go chat with Michael Dunlop

I just got this book as well. Look forward to reading it
    "the empty can rattles the most!"

https://www.facebook.com/neil.hudd

Funny thing is.... i got this book for Christmas as well... just started it.
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

I got this for Christmas too........haven't started it yet though. Looks like we're all contributing to him being not just another lorry mechanic