Notices

Thread: Mixing front/rear tyres

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Mixing front/rear tyres 
    The street triple needs a new rear tyre and everyone on the ST/675 forums raves about Metzler Stortec M7RRs so I'm going to give them a try.

The front tyre is a Bridgestone BT023 which still has loads of life left in it

Is it sensible to mix tyres? Bearing in mine I don't ride the bike hard..I'm guessing it won't make a difference, or is it worth the extra money to change both at once (I can always keep the current front for on the daytona)
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

From what little I know, that Metz is a popular track tyre, but with better longevity than some others.

All tyres are a compromise, except out-and-out race wear or solid ones !

I found PR3 and now PR4 to be excellent in the wet and very durable.

If you are not a hard rider, I would think that mixed tyres would not be a problem. Also that M7RR might not be the right choice.
    Last edited by Burbler; 24-01-16 at 04:56 PM.
    I only have one viceā€¦I lie.

I wouldn't mix from past experience and with the price of pairs nowadays, why bother.

http://www.mandp.co.uk/index.php/def...air-tyres.html
    these are pretty good and at a decent price
    Last edited by Wes; 24-01-16 at 06:31 PM.

I don't usually mix tyres (apart from on the Enfield which doesn't count!) although have recently been running my NC with PR3 on rear and Pirelli on the front as the front PR3 went flat morning I was leaving for a week away and I had the second hand Pirelli left over from my MT. Have to say I could really notice any difference but then the NC isn't exactly a sports bike. I have now put a brand new PR3 on the front to match the rear.

Like others have said, with price of pairs pretty good if you shop around then more a question of why would you. If you have a decent tyre fitter who will charge you a fair price then try Oponeo.com for great prices, a really wide choice and super quick delivery, have used them for last three or four years and not been let down yet.

Banned
    Personally I wouldn't be concerned about mixing but if it may leave you with concerns when riding then swap both. If you keep the part worn bear in mind it will age just being sat around for a year or two, I'd try and sell it on on eBay for a few quid rather than keep it in stock

Good advice guys, thanks better get saving for a pair!
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

I just cant imagine why they need to match? Front wheel is different size, has a different load and turns on steering compared to rear. They are not linked and don't know of each others existence so logically I would definitely mix and match.
    Counting down until my next ride out!

I used to know someone who made tyres and what he said made a lot of sense to me. He said tyre manufacturers spend huge sums testing and designing their tyres to work in pairs so if you buy a matching pair you know they will work as they were designed to, when you need it. If you mix tyres they may be fine, but they may not be, and you wont know that until you need it when for example you do an emergency stop.

Personally I always buy an matching pair every time and stick the part worn on Ebay they always sell.

I nearly always buy from Openeo - great prices and great service, that was after a recommendation from Trev.

Platinum Member
    Anyone who rides their bike to the limit that they are affected if they don't match, should be on the starting grid of the MotoGp, if it's black and round it's a tyre, softer front is better though.