Notices

Thread: Changes for Learner motorcyclists

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Changes for Learner motorcyclists 
    Hi All,

From the bbc website http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35154221
    "◾Strengthening compulsory basic training for learner motorcyclists." - Does anyone in the know, able to say what these changes are?
    It seems to me that they are picking on an easy target to make out that they (the government) is doing something useful?

John

Probably being driven by European rules again more than anything. To be honest the CBT is a joke anyway and should be beefed up in my opinion.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

It still amazes me that a youngster can do a day's CBT and be allowed out on the road, it's madness.
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

Quote Originally Posted by Dabz View Post
    It still amazes me that a youngster can do a day's CBT and be allowed out on the road, it's madness.
    I know, a whole day, what was wrong with a dealer flogging us a nice 250, sticking on a couple of L plates, showing you where the gear lever and brake was and waving you away in a cloud of 2 stroke. Talk about sink or swim, the good old days ; )

There were only about a third of the cars we have on the roads today back then though!

Yup felt very different, particularly the rural roads. Didn't mean less carnage though, more if anything, out of our little group we had lost two mates by the time I was eighteen with another suffering such a bad brain injury that he has been unable to ride, drive or work since.

As with most things in life, safer often means less enjoyment but despite my tongue in cheek post above, I totally agree with high quality, compulsory training and would highly recommend it even to experienced riders. I did the IAM thing about eight years ago and, although not really my riding style, learning something new is always enjoyable and it has helped me become a better and safer rider and driver as well as find some nice roads I didn't know about ; )

From being in "the Know" it appears that they are planning on making quite a few changes to the way in which CBT's are currently done.

They are looking at having training based around the pupil, rather than just a case of following the syllabus of the 5 modules, which can be extremely tedious for someone who has been riding for many years and that has already held numerous CBT's.

They are also looking to add a theory part to the CBT, as you would be surprised the number of people that know nothing at all about the highway code, that currently we have to quickly give them some knowledge.

They are also investigating the possibility of extending the CBT over 2 days, in order to allow pupils to gain more road knowledge/experience riding.

They are investigating changing it so that if you do a CBT on an automatic you are then restricted to an automatic, and would have to do further training before being allowed to ride a manual.

Finally they are also looking into making renewals only for 1 year in order to encourage more people to take their test.

Some of the changes haven't yet been confirmed, as some would require changes at a law level. However the points about student focused training and theory have already been put in place with the first in place by the end of the year, and the latter to start from April next year.

The changes appear to have been welcomed with open arms generally by instructors and pupils, as it does make more sense.

I'm sure i've missed a few bits as doing most of this from knowledge, but although the changes will take a little while to get in place, i think that they are only going to make the world of motorcycling safer especially for the younger generation that apart from a few exceptions aren't taught about the rules of the road by anyone.

As far as i am aware you have to pass your theory prior to CBT. However i have heard of some people turning up and taking their CBT every two years which is a joke
    Adventure before dementia

Quote Originally Posted by Robf View Post
    From being in "the Know" it appears that they are planning on making quite a few changes to the way in which CBT's are currently done.

They are looking at having training based around the pupil, rather than just a case of following the syllabus of the 5 modules, which can be extremely tedious for someone who has been riding for many years and that has already held numerous CBT's.

They are also looking to add a theory part to the CBT, as you would be surprised the number of people that know nothing at all about the highway code, that currently we have to quickly give them some knowledge.

They are also investigating the possibility of extending the CBT over 2 days, in order to allow pupils to gain more road knowledge/experience riding.

They are investigating changing it so that if you do a CBT on an automatic you are then restricted to an automatic, and would have to do further training before being allowed to ride a manual.

Finally they are also looking into making renewals only for 1 year in order to encourage more people to take their test.

Some of the changes haven't yet been confirmed, as some would require changes at a law level. However the points about student focused training and theory have already been put in place with the first in place by the end of the year, and the latter to start from April next year.

The changes appear to have been welcomed with open arms generally by instructors and pupils, as it does make more sense.

I'm sure i've missed a few bits as doing most of this from knowledge, but although the changes will take a little while to get in place, i think that they are only going to make the world of motorcycling safer especially for the younger generation that apart from a few exceptions aren't taught about the rules of the road by anyone.
    Thanks Rob, good to have an instructor's info and view! All seems very sensible to be honest

Quote Originally Posted by Dabz View Post
    Thanks Rob, good to have an instructor's info and view! All seems very sensible to be honest
    Agreed and we'll overdue in my opinion.