Notices

Thread: My first track day

1. My first track day 
    Afternoon all. I've just been bought a track day at Silverstone as a present for my 30th and I'm ecstatic.

However it's now dawned on me that even though I won't be booking until next year I only passed my test on 1st October so thought I'd come to you fine people and ask for your collective wisdom(s)!

Is there any training I should consider, bike/setup that I should be thinking about as I don't want to destroy my day to day bike.

So many questions and I know you folk are clued up.

Many thanks

Nic

Diamond Member
    Oh where to start :-)
    I hope you love it as much as I did my first time, think I'd had a bike about a year before I did Brands and I was immediately hooked !
    I'm sure it depends on who you ask as to what you do, if you're determined to "be the best that you can be" you will start running / cycling in order to shave a second or two off your lap times like Wes does, or if you are more like me you could just getter a bigger bike and train at McDonalds ;-)
    It would be worth reading the threads for our Club trackday at castle Combe as a number of new riders were asking the same questions: http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/sho...h-Castle-Combe

It 's worth a look at www.trackdayriders.co.uk too, a great site if you don't look at the "What have you broken - pics" thread lol
    You could also do a smaller track before the big day at Silverstone (a HUGE track) to give you a bit of confidence.
    Keep an eye out for our Castle Combe day or anything at Llandow.

Re how not to destroy your bike, I would suggest not crashing. I've tried crashing and not crashing, and not crashing is definitely better :-)
    Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions, I 'm not at all an expert but am happy to try to help.
    Cheers

Make a list of things you need to take with you, are you going to ride up there and back in the day? could be worth hiring a van, or borrowing a trailer, makes life a lot easier, plus you can take more stuff!
    Take plenty of fluids, if its hot you can get dehydrated really quickly, which affects the concentration. Speak to the tyre guy at track, theres usually someone doing tyre and suspension set ups, and get them to adjust the pressures for you, generally lower for track, but dont forget to get them put back if you are riding home, and make sure theres enough in them for the day!(tread)
    Make sure your bike is up to it as well, a good general check over and top up of fluids and oil, as well as making sure its all buttoned up, you wouldnt believe the things that rattle loose! eh Gerry
    Leathers have to be one or two piece, but most tracks will insist that the two piece have the longer zip fitted, not just the one at the back, its worth checking out before you leave.
    Most tracks have noise testing as well, if in doubt stick to the OE can or take the baffles with you.
    Enjoy your day, its a great atmosphere, and you get to ride in the tyre tracks of your heros, its Brilliant
    Last edited by Wes; 01-12-15 at 10:34 PM.

Diamond Member
    If you take a van / trailer, remember your keys!
    I was reading a thread two weeks ago on TDR from a guy who had got to a Jerez for three days and left his keys at home for a bike with an immobiliser !
    He tried all sorts of ways to get them there without breaking the bank but had to settle on riding his mates bike (good mates) !
    He mentioned it hadn't gone down well with his wife after he asked her to take them over lol.

PS... bits don't always fall off my track bike - just sometimes ;-)

Better to take a van but if you have to ride get a mate to take their car.
    Gives you the chance to take a packed lunch, fuel (they will crucify you at the circuit), spare kit/clothes etc.
    don't worry too much though as the most important thing is to have fun.
    A track day is the best way to get to know your bike. You won't be the fastest in your group but I doubt you'll be the slowest either.
    Just do your own thing.
    They'll have instructors there and it's worth having one show you around.
    Luckily Silverstone is so big you're unlikely to get lapped by faster riders or held up by the slow ones.
    The only advice I will give is to remove your mirrors and to make sure your tyres aren't squared off.
    Oh and ease into it. Learn the track, get the lines right and then increase the speed.
    Have a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    if you're determined to "be the best that you can be" you will start running / cycling in order to shave a second or two off your lap times like Wes does
    Ah! That's why he's good at push-starting Hondas then
    I only have one viceā€¦I lie.

I think it was a sympathy break down for your Trumpet
    Last edited by Wes; 03-12-15 at 09:03 AM.