Notices

Thread: Scottoiler, yay or nay?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Scottoiler, yay or nay? 
    So my bike that I got recently has one fitted, but it doesn't appear to work. It looks like it wasn't really installed according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Is this worth bothering with our should I just remove it and follow good practice for cleaning and lubricating the chain?

Any thoughts very welcome!

I have had them in the past [on more than 1 machine], but don't like them; and I do serious touring miles per year. Using a spray lube frequently is much better in my opinion.

They have a fundamental design flaw too - they are vacuum operated, but as vacuum decreases with throttle opening you end up with an over oiled chain around town and an under oiled chain on long distance high speed jaunts.

Oh and most are fitted badly, usually bodged in by dealers in a hurry to get it done.

edit: the electronic versions eliminate the vacuum operation flaw, but are more £££.

Yeah, from a brief inspection of it the reservoir is mounted too low and won't stay primed. It was dealer fitted and neatly done but I can't see it'll ever work as currently installed.

Also the construction of the rear sprocket on the Sprint means that you can't locate the dripper (if it's called that, probably not) in the recommended place so it's been installed to drip onto the lower run of the chain. I'd be very surprised if it would actually land anywhere near the desired location when travelling at any speed.

Platinum Member
    Only ever had one, on one bike, it was brilliant. 20k miles, never needed to adjust chain, on a ZX9r!! Plenty of horror stories, but plenty of good ones, meant to get one for my current bike, but too lazy, to even oil chain.

I fitted one to my CBF. It doesn't remove the need for periodic chain cleaning and manual oiling but it certainly reduces the frequency it is required.

Used to use them religiously but don't use the bike enough to warrant it these days
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

I used to have one on my Triumph Trophy and yes it did work well but people did ask if I had an oil leak due to regularly having a few drops under the bike. Now just oil the chain on the MT

I had one on a bike I bought once and it just made a mess so never bothered using it.

I dont mind cleaning and lubing my chain and find doing it regularly really doesnt take long.

Something that puzzles me is does the Scottoiler oil you buy have a cleaning agent in it?

I'd always thought you clean and then lube a chain to extend its life - if you dont clean the chain surely the grit and muck will wear the chain and sprockets out quicker?

To me it seems a Scottoiler is just pouring oil onto a dirty chain.

I know the guy who designed and developed the Tutoro oiler product, his little company based in the Forest of Dean gets letters and reviews from all over the world voicing positives over the Scottoiler. I'm not pushing the product, but just thought it worth mentioning for worthwhile relevant reviews. I'd post a link but this BlackBerry is not letting me grrrrr.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QB1 View Post
    I had one on a bike I bought once and it just made a mess so never bothered using it.

I dont mind cleaning and lubing my chain and find doing it regularly really doesnt take long.

Something that puzzles me is does the Scottoiler oil you buy have a cleaning agent in it?

I'd always thought you clean and then lube a chain to extend its life - if you dont clean the chain surely the grit and muck will wear the chain and sprockets out quicker?

To me it seems a Scottoiler is just pouring oil onto a dirty chain.
    Your dripping oil onto the chain, it flings the muck and excess oil off, if setup right, you won't need to clean or oil your chain at all, fact.