Notices

Thread: Garmin Basecamp

1. Garmin Basecamp 
    Aidbox
    Why are satnav's so frustrating !!

Does anyone know how to set up your own route on basecamp?

Hi
    I have a Garmin and I avoid basecamp like the plague, for just the reason you state. The best thing is to use a program called Tyre - free for basic version (http://www.tyretotravel.com/) which is compatible with TomTom and Garmin.
    Simply plan your route using Google maps, (Hint: Use Click and drag to use the route you want to take), and then save it to suit your satnav. It then produces a file (set of way points) which you can then copy to your sat nav.
    Hint: Be careful with motorways and dual carriageways that you put the way point on the correct side of the road, otherwise it will have you going up and back down the same stretch of road.
    Enjoy John

Aidbox
    Quote Originally Posted by jfranci1 View Post
    Hi
    I have a Garmin and I avoid basecamp like the plague, for just the reason you state. The best thing is to use a program called Tyre - free for basic version (http://www.tyretotravel.com/) which is compatible with TomTom and Garmin.
    Simply plan your route using Google maps, (Hint: Use Click and drag to use the route you want to take), and then save it to suit your satnav. It then produces a file (set of way points) which you can then copy to your sat nav.
    Hint: Be careful with motorways and dual carriageways that you put the way point on the correct side of the road, otherwise it will have you going up and back down the same stretch of road.
    Enjoy John
    Thank you for that John.

I spent about five hours last night trying to plan a simple route and was close to smashing household items, mostly laptop and satnav !

Will give that a try later
    Aiden

Aidbox
    So far so good, have mapped the route really easily without having to create thousands of waypoints.

Have saved it and will try it on my sat nav when I get home.

Thank you so much for that John

Aidbox
    Just checking, seems ok on the Satnav, when I click and drag the route it saved them as POI's, I guess this will work ok?

If I open it in basecamp it still just appears as 5 straight lines that only vaguely correlate to roads.

Hi Aiden,
    I used it to travel around Europe this year, France, Germany, Austria, Italy, and back through France.
    I gave it the start and stop points, and then all the points inbetween for the route that I wanted to take, and it pretty much deliverd me to the door
    for each destination. Yes it goes in, in a series of way points/POI's, and it will then direct you between each of these, as if they were your start and end points.
    If there is a particular road/town you want to go through then you just need to make sure that you marked it as a way point/POI.
    I live in RWB just up the road from you, so if you get stuck, then get in touch and pop round.
    All the best John

Aidbox
    Quote Originally Posted by jfranci1 View Post
    Hi Aiden,
    I used it to travel around Europe this year, France, Germany, Austria, Italy, and back through France.
    I gave it the start and stop points, and then all the points inbetween for the route that I wanted to take, and it pretty much deliverd me to the door
    for each destination. Yes it goes in, in a series of way points/POI's, and it will then direct you between each of these, as if they were your start and end points.
    If there is a particular road/town you want to go through then you just need to make sure that you marked it as a way point/POI.
    I live in RWB just up the road from you, so if you get stuck, then get in touch and pop round.
    All the best John
    Thanks John, really good of you.

I've set a route back from work today the other side of Marlborough so will test it out in the van first before next weekend.

I don't want to do North Yorkshire all the way on the motorway as my satnav would have me do, and the only other option is to take out motorways which then takes nearly 7 hours. With Tyre I've managed to do Fosse way to Leicester then pick up the A1 rather than the M1.

Thanks for your help John, will give you a shout if I get stuck, much appreciated.

Aiden