Notices

Thread: Kit list

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Aidbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    North Yorkshire !
    Beautiful place.

Other items you may need:
    1, Yorkshire to Wiltshire dictionary - it would be no use axing for directions to somewhere in the local aerial :-)
    2, Large stick - just in case you are attacked by rampaging ferrets.
    3, Flat cap - to blend in.
    4, Friendly, outgoing, warm personality - to blend in !
    5, Camera - to record the stunning Yorkshire moors.
    6, Bloody big coat - the wind & rain come sideways up there.
    7, Bloody bigger coat - to put over your bloody big coat.

If you need to stop for a wee on the moors don't wee down a rabbit hole as I've heard that ferret can jump out, swim "upstream" and cause untold damage (although I may be confusing that with a frog or a fish or something in Africa) :-)

Have fun....
    Thanks Gerry

Having looked on google streetview I'm more worried about sheep than ferrets, they were all over the roads !

Found a nice place to stay in Reeth, then may head down for Motorcycle Live or stay up and explore a bit.

Aidbox
    Well, I made it up to the Alt Berg Factory in Richmond, North Yorkshire on Saturday !

The ride up there was great, Fosse way to Leicester, A1 rest of the way with a large breakfast in the American diner just north of Nottingham. It was a nice dry day and made it past Leicester before the sun started to come up. It only started to rain when I got to Yorkshire, but I've heard that it's an old tradition up there

The appointment to get measured up for the Hogg Dual Use boots (for next years 3 Peaks Challenge, Walking/Biking) took about ten minutes which was quite brief after a 5 hour ride !

Spent the rest of the day riding around the Dales before heading to the Black Bull in Reeth for dinner, a few pints and much needed rest.

It was all downhill from there !!

The ride back was horrendous, I stayed off the motorway because the horizontal rain was too much added to the spray from lorries. So sticking to the A roads it ended up being nearly a 10 hour journey, including a few stops. The last section from Warwick to Cirencester was nothing short of frightening. I couldn't keep my visor fully closed as it kept misting up, this meant that my visor was covered in rain as were my glasses ! I could hardly see a thing, I had to ride with my visor open for most of it in the stinging rain! Add to this oncoming vehicles who dip their lights way too late, torrential rain and winds that nearly had me in front or oncoming traffic a couple of times.

It was definitely an experience

All that said, it was a great ride up there and I had a blast riding the A6108, which is like a huge tarmac rollercoaster, had a laugh with the locals in Reeth, ordered some new boots and lived to tell the tale. It has also given me a lot more confidence riding in inclement conditions and shown me again what a great bike the Versys is.

I'm thinking of doing a run up to Inverness in a few weeks if anyone's up for it

Seriously though, if anyone's interested in doing a 3 Peaks walk and bike challenge for charity next year let me know. Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon in 3 days. (In the summer though !)

I would have posted some photo's of the trip, but I didn't have an underwater camera !
    Last edited by Aidbox; 30-11-15 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aidbox View Post
    ... I had a blast riding the A6108, which is like a huge tarmac rollercoaster...
    Glad you made it back in one piece.

Must be impossible for younger peeps to realise that ALL journeys were made on roads like that.
    Bristol thru Bath, Calne, Marlborough, Newbury, Hungerford etc. to London.
    Bristol via rickety ferry or Gloucester to Cardiff.
    Bristol A38 thru Brum and onto Stoke to Manchester etc was an all-day venture.

We used to stop for lunch going 70 miles to Weymouth !

Ho hum...
    I only have one viceā€¦I lie.

Aidbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Burbler View Post
    Glad you made it back in one piece.

Must be impossible for younger peeps to realise that ALL journeys were made on roads like that.
    Bristol thru Bath, Calne, Marlborough, Newbury, Hungerford etc. to London.
    Bristol via rickety ferry or Gloucester to Cardiff.
    Bristol A38 thru Brum and onto Stoke to Manchester etc was an all-day venture.

We used to stop for lunch going 70 miles to Weymouth !

Ho hum...
    Thank you

I guess you had to water the horses
    Last edited by Aidbox; 30-11-15 at 02:17 PM.