Notices

Thread: Kit list

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Kit list 
    Aidbox
    Planning a trip up to North Yorkshire in a couple of weeks and trying to consider what essential pieces of kit I'm likely to need for a 500 mile round trip at this time of year.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Just to add, this is some kit I have already:

Oxford Dry Suit
    Spare Gloves (bike fitted with heated grips)
    Small Toolkit
    Visor Cleaner
    Petzl Head Torch
    Overboard 60l Drybag (bike has manufacturer fitted hard panniers)
    Bungees and cable ties

Things I think I need to add:

Puncture repair Kit (not sure which one)

Not sure what else
    Last edited by Aidbox; 16-11-15 at 08:08 AM.

Sat nav or map holder? Just in case?

Puncture repair

Lazy/easy option http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Simply-Xtr...0AAOSwLqFV8Ed9 combine with credit card to get it done properly at nearest garage.

Better option http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle...sP8F5J7JaJA7sg

Either one will require some kind of pump to fully inflate the tyre afterward. If you have a fag lighter socket on your bike little plug in compressors are pretty cheap. I wouldn't put my faith in the little CO2 canister things you can get, I suspect to go from flat to inflated you'd need a fair few.

I wouldn't go nuts on lugging tools. This is the UK you are unlikely to undertake massive roadside repairs should ****e happen, recovery is more likely. Just take what's needed for basic stuff, like the tools to remove whatever plastics are in the way if you pop a fuse/bulb. I used to lug the best part of a 180 piece toolkit around on my Chinese bikes, along with spare plugs and all sorts, now on my 25 year old kwak I usually just carry a decent leatherman, a few fuses and some leccy tape, 2 breakdowns I've had it's been enough to get me rolling again. 500 miles I'd consider taking the tools needed to adjust the chain and a small can of chain lube as well. My wife's mantra with her car is the best toolkit she can carry is her AA card, if my bike wasn't older than most breakdown services provide cheap cover too I'd probably say the same.

Platinum Member
    Car

Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch9128 View Post
    Car

Everything else is shyte

Aidbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Train View Post

When I said 'any suggestions would be helpful' I was tempted to add something to that

Aidbox
    Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    Puncture repair

Lazy/easy option http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Simply-Xtr...0AAOSwLqFV8Ed9 combine with credit card to get it done properly at nearest garage.

Better option http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle...sP8F5J7JaJA7sg

Either one will require some kind of pump to fully inflate the tyre afterward. If you have a fag lighter socket on your bike little plug in compressors are pretty cheap. I wouldn't put my faith in the little CO2 canister things you can get, I suspect to go from flat to inflated you'd need a fair few.

I wouldn't go nuts on lugging tools. This is the UK you are unlikely to undertake massive roadside repairs should ****e happen, recovery is more likely. Just take what's needed for basic stuff, like the tools to remove whatever plastics are in the way if you pop a fuse/bulb. I used to lug the best part of a 180 piece toolkit around on my Chinese bikes, along with spare plugs and all sorts, now on my 25 year old kwak I usually just carry a decent leatherman, a few fuses and some leccy tape, 2 breakdowns I've had it's been enough to get me rolling again. 500 miles I'd consider taking the tools needed to adjust the chain and a small can of chain lube as well. My wife's mantra with her car is the best toolkit she can carry is her AA card, if my bike wasn't older than most breakdown services provide cheap cover too I'd probably say the same.
    Thanks for that.

I think it's probably more likely that I'd use my AA card over a puncture repair kit for now, especially in the UK. Will definitely take the right kit to do the chain should I need to.

Got a Satnav and just had a new sharktooth headset arrive, will still carry a map though !

The leatherman Skeletool was mentioned in one of the bike mags recently.

Thermals
    Heated gear

best option - 4 wheels!

Aidbox
    Quote Originally Posted by QB1 View Post
    Thermals
    Heated gear

best option - 4 wheels!
    Got thermals, 4 wheels not an option, got a work van with a tracker and my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Aidbox View Post
    Got thermals, 4 wheels not an option, got a work van with a tracker and my bike.
    + the bike much more fun when you get there ; )

I did a few longer trips early in the year including West coast of Scotland in April, I was lucky with the weather, was a bit chilly but not too wet, it's okay with the right gear but warm & waterproof kit a priority. My tip would be to make plenty of stops if the cold is getting to you as your reactions & decision making suffer, better to be a bit late than dented & bruised.

Bike kit wise; toolkit it came with + Leatherman or similar, tape, fuses and of course cable ties of all sizes! I also carry a spare headlight and tail light bulb after getting caught out once a late night trip home from Cornwall, wrap them in a pair of rubber gloves and there's bound to be somewhere you can stow them permanently on the bike.

After years of not bothering with (or needing) either I have taken to carrying the following on the NC as I have space:

a puncture repair kit , I did practice on an old tyre/wheel, not the easiest thing to use but it worked and the CO2 cannisters got a decent pressure with only two used.

I fitted a 1 litre spare fuel bottle carrier as a result of near misses in France, I've left it on not expecting to need it in the UK but it got me out of trouble when last in Scotland as the main road garage I was counting on was closed for refurbishment and I had to hunt around a bit for an alternative

Finally, if you don't have a charge port on the bike, one of those phone recharge batteries, only cost a tenner now for one that will charge and iphone or similar

Enjoy the ride