Notices

Thread: Kit list

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Aidbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    + the bike much more fun when you get there ; )

I did a few longer trips early in the year including West coast of Scotland in April, I was lucky with the weather, was a bit chilly but not too wet, it's okay with the right gear but warm & waterproof kit a priority. My tip would be to make plenty of stops if the cold is getting to you as your reactions & decision making suffer, better to be a bit late than dented & bruised.

Bike kit wise; toolkit it came with + Leatherman or similar, tape, fuses and of course cable ties of all sizes! I also carry a spare headlight and tail light bulb after getting caught out once a late night trip home from Cornwall, wrap them in a pair of rubber gloves and there's bound to be somewhere you can stow them permanently on the bike.

After years of not bothering with (or needing) either I have taken to carrying the following on the NC as I have space:

a puncture repair kit , I did practice on an old tyre/wheel, not the easiest thing to use but it worked and the CO2 cannisters got a decent pressure with only two used.

I fitted a 1 litre spare fuel bottle carrier as a result of near misses in France, I've left it on not expecting to need it in the UK but it got me out of trouble when last in Scotland as the main road garage I was counting on was closed for refurbishment and I had to hunt around a bit for an alternative

Finally, if you don't have a charge port on the bike, one of those phone recharge batteries, only cost a tenner now for one that will charge and iphone or similar

Enjoy the ride
    Good heads up on the bulbs, thanks Trev.

Quote Originally Posted by Aidbox View Post
    Good heads up on the bulbs, thanks Trev.
    or as my sparky mate insists on correcting me on - lamps!

Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    or as my sparky mate insists on correcting me on - lamps!
    And so he should! Bulbs go in the ground!
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Speaking of power banks (for charging phone, running satnav etc.), I saw these recently:
    http://www.bargain-buys.com/buy/dual...black_7713.htm
    I haven't bought one so can't vouch for it (already got a 10000mAh one that I'm happy with) but it's an impressive claim for the price!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Not a lot, usually I take enough undies and socks for the trip plus a couple spare. The T shirt I wear in the evening gets used the next day to wear on the bike. No jacket (use bike jacket) and a pair of shorts and jeans. Couldn't ride with just heated grips though this time of year, always wear heated gloves. I travel extremely light !
    Take gaffer tape, and a few cable ties, and bungee straps used on a few trips on mates bikes from snapped indicator stalks to loose pannier lid etc.
    Counting down until my next ride out!

Cable ties. Don't take up much room but are increadibly useful.
    Duct tape.
    I always carry a clear/dark visor on longer trips.
    Chinagraph pencil for writing directions on the tank. Saves having to keep stopping to check the map.

I've done journeys in March and it's not much fun. Stick with a car (if you haven't the se of one, hire one) Whilst there check out the roads, pubs and attractions and arrange to go back when it's warmer/summer

Quote Originally Posted by wiltshire builders View Post
    Cable ties. Don't take up much room but are increadibly useful.
    Duct tape.
    I always carry a clear/dark visor on longer trips.
    Chinagraph pencil for writing directions on the tank. Saves having to keep stopping to check the map.
    I recall your chinagraph pencil tip a couple of years ago, have used it quite a few times since - thanks, has saved me from satnav on the bike so far ; )

Diamond Member
    North Yorkshire !
    Beautiful place.

Other items you may need:
    1, Yorkshire to Wiltshire dictionary - it would be no use axing for directions to somewhere in the local aerial :-)
    2, Large stick - just in case you are attacked by rampaging ferrets.
    3, Flat cap - to blend in.
    4, Friendly, outgoing, warm personality - to blend in !
    5, Camera - to record the stunning Yorkshire moors.
    6, Bloody big coat - the wind & rain come sideways up there.
    7, Bloody bigger coat - to put over your bloody big coat.

If you need to stop for a wee on the moors don't wee down a rabbit hole as I've heard that ferret can jump out, swim "upstream" and cause untold damage (although I may be confusing that with a frog or a fish or something in Africa) :-)

Have fun....

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    North Yorkshire !
    Beautiful place.

Other items you may need:
    1, Yorkshire to Wiltshire dictionary - it would be no use axing for directions to somewhere in the local aerial :-)
    2, Large stick - just in case you are attacked by rampaging ferrets.
    3, Flat cap - to blend in.
    4, Friendly, outgoing, warm personality - to blend in !
    5, Camera - to record the stunning Yorkshire moors.
    6, Bloody big coat - the wind & rain come sideways up there.
    7, Bloody bigger coat - to put over your bloody big coat.

If you need to stop for a wee on the moors don't wee down a rabbit hole as I've heard that ferret can jump out, swim "upstream" and cause untold damage (although I may be confusing that with a frog or a fish or something in Africa) :-)

Have fun....
    You can always tell a Yorkshireman ....... but you can't tell him much