Notices

Thread: IAM, RoSPA, ERS ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've completed and passed both IAM and RoSPA and honestly I cant tell you which is 'better'.

My personal view is that you will get a huge amount out of both, but whichever you choose the quality of training is VERY dependent on how good your observer/tutor is, how committed they are and how you get on with them, and the trouble is you cant tell that until you've tried both. I had a few different ones with both and the difference was huge. If I was doing it again I'd actually consider getting some professional training.

I did find IAM was much better organised than RoSPA at a local and national level.

As for insurance don't bank on getting any reduction they save me less than £1 on my annual premium and I do shop around at each renewal.

Aidbox
    Quote Originally Posted by QB1 View Post
    I've completed and passed both IAM and RoSPA and honestly I cant tell you which is 'better'.

My personal view is that you will get a huge amount out of both, but whichever you choose the quality of training is VERY dependent on how good your observer/tutor is, how committed they are and how you get on with them, and the trouble is you cant tell that until you've tried both. I had a few different ones with both and the difference was huge. If I was doing it again I'd actually consider getting some professional training.

I did find IAM was much better organised than RoSPA at a local and national level.

As for insurance don't bank on getting any reduction they save me less than £1 on my annual premium and I do shop around at each renewal.
    That's interesting, I had a friend who did an ERS and didn't get on to great with his instructor, and didn't complete it.

I know the people I did my direct access with do advanced training but I think there course is slightly more expensive. That said they were all really nice people and that makes a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Aidbox View Post
    That's interesting, I had a friend who did an ERS and didn't get on to great with his instructor, and didn't complete it.

I know the people I did my direct access with do advanced training but I think there course is slightly more expensive. That said they were all really nice people and that makes a big difference.
    I think both IAM and RoSPA will happily transfer you to another observer/tutor if you arent getting on with them.

I have done the RoSPA training locally and found it to be very good. That said IAM do similar training and I'm sure are just as good. Both base their training on the Police Book of Motorcycle Roadcraft, so it would be worth your while getting hold of a copy and having a good read through.
    Orange ones are faster, but red ones are more comfortable!

Aidbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    I have done the RoSPA training locally and found it to be very good. That said IAM do similar training and I'm sure are just as good. Both base their training on the Police Book of Motorcycle Roadcraft, so it would be worth your while getting hold of a copy and having a good read through.
    That'sounds what the RoSPA guy said, about getting the book. I'don't forgotten all about it, thanks for that Jed

If you try IAM hope you have better luck than I did. Twice set up to do the intro ride and twice the local instructor didn't bother to contact me. Fed this back and centrally many apologies but got no further. Will do rospa next year.

When I got back out on a bike again after a major off I did some 1to1 training with Able, well worth the money and a great confidence builder. Also done a couple of Bike Safes since then too. Again well worth it.
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Aidbox
    Thanks for the info guys. Will look up Able.

I did an assessment ride with RoSPA and they seemed ok, they were going to email me a load of info but it never arrived. Possibly an error with my email address

Quote Originally Posted by Davezthomas View Post
    If you try IAM hope you have better luck than I did. Twice set up to do the intro ride and twice the local instructor didn't bother to contact me. Fed this back and centrally many apologies but got no further. Will do rospa next year.
    I'm really not defending either IAM or RoSPA as my only connection to both is having passed the tests but I had very similar issues with RoSPA.

The trouble is they both use volunteer observers/tutors and some just arent as committed as others and its luck of the draw which you get. Its definitely worth speaking to the organiser of the local group though and asking to be transferred to someone else before giving up.