Notices

Thread: IAM, RoSPA, ERS ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. IAM, RoSPA, ERS ? 
    Aidbox
    I did a brief assessment with RoSPA earlier in the year and following on from that I plan to do some form of 'advanced' training next year.

I'm sure people have a wide ranging experience of different organisations and what they have to offer and I was hoping that people might advise what might be the best course of action for me next, as someone who has only been riding for less than a year?

The assessor said that my riding was good, and safe, and the area to possibly focus on was positioning, which I have since read up quite a bit on.

I did go to the BikeSafe show at Castle Combe in the summer and sat in on one of the talks on cornering, which was really helpful.

Also, are there any courses that are more widely recognised by insurance companies?

Quote Originally Posted by Aidbox View Post
    I did a brief assessment with RoSPA earlier in the year and following on from that I plan to do some form of 'advanced' training next year.

I'm sure people have a wide ranging experience of different organisations and what they have to offer and I was hoping that people might advise what might be the best course of action for me next, as someone who has only been riding for less than a year?

The assessor said that my riding was good, and safe, and the area to possibly focus on was positioning, which I have since read up quite a bit on.

I did go to the BikeSafe show at Castle Combe in the summer and sat in on one of the talks on cornering, which was really helpful.

Also, are there any courses that are more widely recognised by insurance companies?
    Try and speak with Dennis ..............http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/sho...Rider-training

As an IAM'er I can only speak for my experience with them, the only road training I've done and, even though I've been riding a fair while, it was worthwhile in many areas. I don't apply everything (some by choice, some because I don't always remember to) but really helped with my hazard awareness and positioning for better view. Try their 'skill for life' package, you also get the chance to ride Thruxton once or twice a year.

Aidbox
    I definitely fancy a go on a Thruxton.

I think positioning would be good for me, gear selection probably not a bad idea too but guess that comes more with experience.

Aidbox
    Thanks for that DC, will send Dennis a message.

Sorry should have worded that better, not a go on a Thruxton but an IAM track day at Thruxton race circuit. The IAM have unique access to that circuit for two bike track days a year, not the same as a full blown track day (is IAM controlled after all) but no need for leathers, scrutineering or sound check and you can go from 1 to 1 tutoring to pretty much doing your own thing within reason.

IAM (and other training methods) will all help with postioning and gear changing but you're right, smooth control of the bike owes a huge amount to experience and just putting the miles in, sounds like you're managing that okay though ; )

Aidbox
    There goes my previously unrealised dream of having a go on a Thruxton at Thruxton

Quote Originally Posted by Aidbox View Post
    There goes my previously unrealised dream of having a go on a Thruxton at Thruxton
    You could always buy a Thruxton....
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Aidbox
    Quote Originally Posted by BB View Post
    You could always buy a Thruxton....
    True, what's the going rate for a race track in the south of England these days?

...and would that reduce my insurance quotes?

Diamond Member
    If you're going to buy a race track why not go the whole hog and buy a Cadwell :-)

Wonder if more manufacturers will take after naming models after tracks, I fancy a Suzuki Snetterton (although not a good idea if you have a lisp) ;-)