Notices

Thread: Painting Sprockets ???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Platinum Member
    When i bought my mtb, it had alloy chainrings, when they wore out, i just put steel deore rings on, last ten times longer

Quote Originally Posted by wheelers View Post
    what you have to remember is Ally ones on mx bikes are changed and checked every race. which is why they look good and are replaced.
    if you want to go colour on as steel, you could follow old British bikes...
    work out where the chain will sit and allow approx. 5mm below. mask of above, covering the teeth and get the centre powder coated or enamelled.

Got a decent price for steel sprockets and DID gold chain from Steve Lynham , will follow your suggestion , did you spray that one in the picture , was it enamel ?

I didnt spray but have done BSA and Ariel's before. I got them sand blasted, not shot. then made sure dry.
    if very fussy you could get them cadmium plated (gold film) as a corrosion preventative, then powder coat over the top. that way, if the paint does chip it should leave sprocket protected from rust with the plating.
    the cadmium on steel isnt decorative just corrosion preventative.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelers View Post
    I didnt spray but have done BSA and Ariel's before. I got them sand blasted, not shot. then made sure dry.
    if very fussy you could get them cadmium plated (gold film) as a corrosion preventative, then powder coat over the top. that way, if the paint does chip it should leave sprocket protected from rust with the plating.
    the cadmium on steel isnt decorative just corrosion preventative.
    Thanks for the info