Notices

Thread: Puncture Prevention .

1. Puncture Prevention . 
    Has anyone ever tried either , Slime or Goop or any similar product for puncture prevention on tubed tyres , and is it any good ?

I used to have ultraseal in mine, but I never had a puncture so can't really comment on how well it works other than to say it never caused any handling or other issues. Check the spec of whatever you use as some products are only suitable for low speed use (aim at bicycles and tractors). I used mine for a couple of trips to Spain and I felt it provided a degree of reassurance that carrying a puncture repair kit never could.
    Orange ones are faster, but red ones are more comfortable!

Lidl are selling tyre goo stuff again currently.

Last year when I had a nail in my tyre I shoved my old spare wheel and tyre that normally lost pressure in about 2 days, stuck a can of the lidl stuff in it and racked up about 500 miles trouble free before I got the other one plugged. Though this is using it as a cure after the fact, don't know how effective it would be in actually preventing a puncture.

I run Ultraseal in a few of my bikes, have done for a few years but no punctures that I know of. I have it in my NC700X as the bloody things are notorious for losing pressure, a few psi over a few weeks. Mine is no exception even on third rear tyres it loses pressure slowly unless Ultraseal used.

My question is similar to Daddy Cool's ..... I have Dunlop 404s on my Kawasaki Vulcan (wire spokes) ... with tubes ... any advice on prevention and repair on the road?
    It's not about my ears ... it's about my ride!

Ultraseal or similar works well, but only up to a certain size puncture, the stuff in a can that you put in after an event works as well, but relies on being able to re inflate the tyre straight away. saying that there are small bottles of compressed air with the plug type kits.

Banned
    Nooj has a puncture prevention service, not sure what product he uses. I don't think he gets on the site anymore, but he is fairly close. I expect he will be able to offer some advice on suitability and preference of product.

He's in newbury

http://www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk/n...bike-syndrome/

Thanks for the input peeps . Have done a bit of trawling and reckon the "Slime" available at Halfords is maybe a bit of a pretender to the throne , their charts can't really give accurate quantities to use on Bike Tyres and it seems mostly to cater for pushbikes and wheelbarrows etc . The Ultraseal site ( now Puncturesafe ) has a pretty detailed tech and spec section giving specific quantities for a very extensive range of bike wheel sizes , will probably get some of this

Last edited by DC; 17-10-15 at 09:46 PM.

Bit late joining this but I have used ride on tyre sealant as a prevention for the last few years. Not seen it in action yet though but it does have a good reputation.

I have since decided to travel with a tyre plugging kit and to carry a mini compressor. This did save me when I was half way up the col d'allos this year and the valve failed in the rear tyre. With the compressor I was able to get the tyre to hold just enough pressure so I could complete the climb and get home that day.

Tyre plugger kit was the stop go one like here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3016628792...242%26_rdc%3D1
    there are different size kits available with extra compressed air capsules

compressor is this one - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CYCLEPUMP-...HFnlk6V4h0Fdpg
    there are others around but I thought I would pay more for reliability.

and the sealant is this stuff - http://www.ride-on.com/
    I asked if there was any difference between the car and motorcycle sealant and I was not convinced there was a difference apart from the price so I use the auto sealant in my car and bikes.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by Carver; 04-11-15 at 01:46 PM.