Notices

Thread: sat nav

1. sat nav 
    hi .I am thinking of getting a sat nav for my bike .any advise/tips would be greatly appreciated thanx joe

I have the Tom Tom rider, used all over Europe and UK. Great function is windey route that gives you plenty of twisties. My mate had a built in one on his wing and we always used mine for fun routes. I would highly recommend it. Oh and time to destination was always pretty accurate
    Last edited by shiftyblake; 21-08-15 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Spelling

If your budget isn't big eBay can be a good source. I picked up a factory reconditioned Mio satnag for £30. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a bike specific one but large screen and UK + euro mapping is enough to get un-lost anywhere.

I use my smart phone with CoPilot pro installed. The software costs about £20 and you get free map updates. If I remember you can load a couple of regions (UK, Europe) at a time. The maps are stored on your sim card so no data usage when riding, unlike google maps. Instructions are clear and precise and I have used it on sound alone.

Hi, I think most sat navs that can be safely secured to your bike can do the job, it just depends on how much you want to spend. The more expensive ones can have features in, like showing weather, rainfall overlays (with the help of an app and suitable mobile phone) so that you can alter your route so that you don't get wet. Although you would probably have to divert via Spain at the moment to not get wet.

I use a free software package called "Tyre", which links into Google Maps, and you can plan your route via drag and drop, to go on the actual route you wish to take, and the sat nav follows that as a list of way points. It produces output files that can be used with TomTom and Garmin. Not sure if it supports others. Available here http://www.tyretotravel.com/

Enjoy John

I use windows phone with a app called navigon, works good with my helmet Bluetooth