Notices

Thread: The sound and smells of a mis-spent youth .....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. The sound and smells of a mis-spent youth ..... 
    Finally got my backside in gear and put the motor back together with rebuilt crank and all new bearings and seals. Starts first kick, ticks over sweetly and first few runs round the block feels and sounds sweet as. Bolted new shocks on since this pic ready for MOT tomorrow morning and then get it run in Sunday.

Any informed ideas on how may miles to run in new crank, gearbox, small ends, etc? I had plenty of practice of this in my yoof but always had new pistons, rings and rebore as well so gave it 50 - 100 miles of gentle build up. Top end was all fine so, apart from small ends and gaskets, I've left as is and I don't intend to ride it like I stole now I'm no longer 17 ; )
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Trev; 15-08-15 at 12:14 PM.

Chatterbox
    2 smoke !!!!

Cool as Trev
    Everything else is shyte

MOT passed, taxed on line and I think a decent ride out tomorrow to blow the cobwebs away, I wonder if it will make Cheddar?

nice bike just shown it to my brother in law as his claim to fame he was 1st person to have one in bath somerset

That looks fantastic. I remember the day ........

Quote Originally Posted by Celtbhoy View Post
    nice bike just shown it to my brother in law as his claim to fame he was 1st person to have one in bath somerset
    Gonna pop across to Lightening Services, Hilperton tmrw if you wanna see it in the metal, providing it makes it ; )

Looks great

Great stuff. Lovely bike. I'd give it 100-200 miles to run in. Better safe than sorry.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W View Post
    Great stuff. Lovely bike. I'd give it 100-200 miles to run in. Better safe than sorry.
    Thanks, I'm up to about 120 miles but coming back from a 20 mile run last night it ran onto reserve as it was pulling into the powerband. Not sure whether it ran weak for a second but it seems to have just lost it's edge. I checked the plugs when I got home and they were both a nice brown colour with no tell tale ali looking particles, I thought I may have just burnt a piston crown. Still starts first kick, ticks over evenly and pulls well low down and I may be looking for something that's not there but doesn't feel quite right.

Going to fill it with Super unleaded and pop across to Bugad Bikes this evening to see if it feels okay, if not then will whip the top end off this weekend.

Great fun, Comp 2 just for the smell
    Counting down until my next ride out!