Notices

Thread: How do you mark a corner safely as lead rider.

1. How do you mark a corner safely as lead rider. 
    My friend has asked me to lead a North London bike group through Hampshire and Wiltshire as I know the roads inside out. But It got me thinking, I have only ever marked corners when on the continent with hardly any cars. So if Im travelling up the busy A30 and want to turn off right, where do I mark as I don't want to leave a rider stationary on a busy road opposite a junction !
    Counting down until my next ride out!

Depending on the junction you're turning off the A30 onto, I'd possibly be looking to be dropping off two markers. If safe, I'd drop one off on left verge / road curbing about 50 metres from the right turn junction and for that person to be pointing right when following riders approach to indicate the right turn off main road ahead.

The second bike following you making that right turn I'd drop off a few yards (if safe) along on the road you've turned right into.

Right turns off a main road are invariably the more awkward ones to mark ... but dropping of 1st marker on left before junction to point out the right turn ahead means you are less likely to get riders just riding past the junction if they miss the person you have dropped off after making the right turn.

Just my thoughts really ... but as I said it depends how open the right turn is and therefore how easy it is for riders approaching the right turn to see a marker that has already made the turn. If group all relatively together then people will see where bikes in front are turning ... the danger is where there is a gap and a person just rides past the turning. The first drop on left before junction should minimise the chances of this happening.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Ade; 13-08-15 at 08:58 PM.
    Ducati Diavel Dark

Firstly, go and look at it personally. If it is THAT dangerous, change the route or go past the juction, U-turn and turn left into it. If it's a x-roads, you can again go past, then left, left, left and straight across.

Else...

a) Find a little entrance, bus stop, low pavement on the left and drop off a pointing marker as per Ade.

b) Bunch up the whole group in a lay-by or pub car-park etc. Get them all out together and then they can be ducklings, as if you can see your back-marker, then they all can see you.
    Last edited by Burbler; 13-08-15 at 09:09 PM.
    I only have one vice…I lie.

P.S.

I find that a lot of pressure is off my shoulders if I have a couple of trusty manic and very capable junction markers. They will get themselves back to the front and do more than their fair share. They know my style and will also find ad hoc ways to mark an awkward junction, or help out another biker by double-marking it.

Come to Wales with me, you'll learn a lot (and enjoy yourself).

The last thing I'd want on any ride I'm on ... leading or otherwise is to have riders determined to charge back to the front of the ride. Can be totally disconcerting to less experienced riders who are not used to others' riding styles.

".. Come to Wales with me, you'll learn a lot (and enjoy yourself)...". I think Shiftyblake is a more than experienced enough rider !!
    Ducati Diavel Dark

Just looked at the right hand turning off the A30 before Salisbury from Andover that leads over to old Sarum bring them over from Stockbridge. Drivers come up the hill off the dual carriageway at mad speeds and the road is thin in comparison. It looks much safer to drop a marker on the minor turn just off the A30 and they would be in full view. They should still be in sight. It is such a fast road. All of the other turns are fine. The guys are well experienced I'm with too, four ex london bike plod and an instructor amongst them. Rode with them through Europe before on rides. But always good to get other experienced riders point of view on here as I generally don't lead.... yes would love to come on some Wiltshire ride outs, as is always the case they haven't been convenient times. Although I do try and get out for a couple of hours sometime on a Friday to Sunday
    Counting down until my next ride out!

Sorry SB, didn't intend to be demeaning. Took it from your post that you and / or your group were inexperienced.

These markers do NOT upset other riders. Those in the group who (for any reason) do not wish to mark juctions are advised to stay near the rear, and to be aware that others will be making their way SAFELY through the group in order to look after them.

A marker around a fork / corner on the right may be obscured by oncoming traffic both exiting the turning and coming down the main road. Also riders trying to 'catch up' may not be looking over there..

Bottom line is fail safe. Plan for the worst, be pleased when it doesn't happen.
    Last edited by Burbler; 14-08-15 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ade View Post
    The last thing I'd want on any ride I'm on ... leading or otherwise is to have riders determined to charge back to the front of the ride. Can be totally disconcerting to less experienced riders who are not used to others' riding styles.
    But that's the whole point of the marker system. The quicker riders can have a blast without leaving the slower riders behind.
    As long as everyone uses common sense it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by shiftyblake View Post
    Just looked at the right hand turning off the A30 before Salisbury from Andover that leads over to old Sarum bring them over from Stockbridge. Drivers come up the hill off the dual carriageway at mad speeds and the road is thin in comparison. It looks much safer to drop a marker on the minor turn just off the A30 and they would be in full view. They should still be in sight. It is such a fast road. All of the other turns are fine. The guys are well experienced I'm with too, four ex london bike plod and an instructor amongst them. Rode with them through Europe before on rides. But always good to get other experienced riders point of view on here as I generally don't lead.... yes would love to come on some Wiltshire ride outs, as is always the case they haven't been convenient times. Although I do try and get out for a couple of hours sometime on a Friday to Sunday
    If this is the turning I think it is (after Figsbury Rings on the Salisbury side), then an alternative is to continue on the main road, down to the next roundabout, and then take the third exit which would then join up with the bottom of the road your would have turned down if taking the right turn. Would add about 5 mins to the journey time in total.

Thanks for advice all! Appreciate all of it. The day went well though! The riders loved the amesbury Potterne Devizes Avebury rockley a4 hungerford and then up to Wantage --- back to Newbury route.