Notices

Thread: Your thoughts and Opinions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Your thoughts and Opinions? 
    Hi All,

There is no correct answer to this, but I am interested in your thoughts, on the following topic which has plagued me for years.
    What is the difference between a commuter on a motorcycle, a motorcyclist, and a biker?

I will kick start this off :-
    1/ A commuter on a motorcycle
    A person who uses a bike because it is more convenient/cost effective than a car, but puts it away at the week end

2/ A motorcyclist
    A person who uses a bike, because they can not afford a car, and use it for all journeys

3/ A biker
    A person who rides their bike everywhere, takes it on holidays/days out, loves to have it "farkled", and keeps dreaming of other bikes that they would like to own.

Do you have any different definitions?

Cheers John

Biker - Lives and breathes bikes. Could be riding anything but whatever it is they know every inch of it. Could probably tell you the minor facts and figures on almost any part of their bike/bikes.

Rides a bike - Owns a bike due to practical/economic reason. Generally doesn't even know what a sprocket is and doesn't care. Unlikely to do much "leisure" riding, their bike is just a-b transport. The amount of L plated scoots, peds and 125's around my area suggests to me this group is growing a lot.

Poser - Owns a bike because it seems cool/economic statement "look at what I can afford as a toy". Only brings it out for leisure and takes it places where it will get the most amount of stares. Knows nothing technical about their ride other than the sticker price, will chop it in for the latest attention grabbing model. Very important group as they ensure the supply of 2nd hand bikes.

Of course the above are terrible sweeping generalisations

Ooer John, you've opened a can of worms there although not sure why such a question would plague you, or anyone, surely most of us ride bikes cos we enjoy doing so and what we're called by others doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

I don't fit into any of your three categories; I only use my bikes for 'fun' (this ranges from 20 minutes 'round the block', the odd trip to work, days out, track days through to week+ away) and certainly don't take it everywhere, I do 25k+ miles a year in a car and only 12k or so on a bike

BTW - please don't call me a motorcyclist ; )

Gotta say I agree with Trev,

I own a bike cos I love riding. I have a company car but sometimes leave it at home and ride to work just because I enjoy it. I ride it at the weekend when the feeling takes me. I'm not really a biker, .....I used to be a MOD years ago, (Collibosher is an album track by the Small Faces). I'm not a motorcyclist or a commuter. I'm too old and fat for scooters and grew out of Lambretta's a long time ago. I enjoy the speed, freedom and handling of my bike.

Collibosher

Interestingly...from the urban Dictionary...
    "A biker is some one who not only owns a motorbike but rides it for pleasure as well as mere transport. They tend to be a friendly bunch but any who crosses them will be "persuaded" not to do so again!"

or

"The fundamental difference between being a biker and owning a motorbike is that the first has some stories to tell. The second has a surrogate penis."

"the empty can rattles the most!"

https://www.facebook.com/neil.hudd

A commuter is a subset of a motorcyclist. Eg all commuters who ride are motorcyclists but not all motorcyclists are commuters.
    Biker is slang for Motorcyclist. Coppers and Scientists call us motorcyclists, fellow bikers call us bikers !!!
    Counting down until my next ride out!

Quote Originally Posted by Nelly View Post
    the first has some stories to tell.
    And boy do they like to tell them! ������

For me a biker is someone who is defined by riding a bike.
    You can tell what they do just from looking at them. They will exude biker as it's what they do and how they want to be known.

Serious commuters rarely look happy, little wonder they lock their bikes away come the end of the week

I deplore being referred to as a 'biker' I ride a motorcycle, I also ride a scooter, I am not a biker! I drive a car, but when I drive a car I am only a 'motorist'

Diamond Member
    I'm going against the grain here and probably not being very helpful.
    I'm not a fan of categorising people into convenient labeled boxes. Others can call me whatever they wish - riding and enjoying my bike is all that is important to me. Doubtless I have been called a lot worse than all the aforementioned on this thread. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by redken1 View Post
    I'm going against the grain here and probably not being very helpful.
    I'm not a fan of categorising people into convenient labeled boxes. Others can call me whatever they wish - riding and enjoying my bike is all that is important to me. Doubtless I have been called a lot worse than all the aforementioned on this thread. Lol
    Couldn't agree more Ken.
    If you saw me in the street you wouldn't have a clue as to what I do for a living (most people say accountant) or what my hobbies are.
    "Bikers" love to be categorised and then complain about being categorised.
    Go to any bike related event and you'll see them festooned in a myriad of gaudy bike related merchandise to let you know that they love bikes......we know. So do we. It's a bike event!