Notices

Thread: Free Advanced Rider training

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Free Advanced Rider training 
    Wilts and Bath Advanced Motorcyclist (WABAM) are doing free rider clinics on the second Sunday of every month, WB group ride out day :-(. All you need to do is turn up at the Little Chef on the A350, north of Chippenham. No booking necessary.

You will be taken on a one to one ride with an IAM observer and pointers will be offered on how to improve bits of your riding that will make you a safer and more confident rider.

I know this clashes with WB rideouts, but if anyone is interested and is concerned with the date clash, please contact me and I will arrange for your own private session at your convenience.

Note: you will not be required to purchase a BMW or a hi-vis bib :-)

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me (post here or by PM)

Best regards,
    Dennis

I definitely recommend and independant assessment. Would like to see every rider under take IAM or ROSPA assessment however competent they are. Have been riding on a full licence 20 years and was MAC tested every year until 2011. It's amazing how much you can still learn from somebody else taking an independent look at your riding. One other upside is my cornering is much more competant and exiting (safely I might add) using the vanishing point as most good track rider knows gets you progressing rather swiftly.
    Counting down until my next ride out!

Out of curiosity; what are the bike requirements for ROSPA or WABAM? And don't just say anything - is there a minimum cc limit? is there an age limit for the bike? Is it required to have indicators?
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Good question.

I may be subject to correction but as far as I am aware, the minimum is that the bike is road worthy (i.e. has a valid MOT) and insurance.

Age of bike or rider :-) is irrelevant.
    As for engine size, the bike should be able to meet National speed limits to cover all road types, so that might rule out speed limited 50cc mopeds but not necessarily as the training can be tailored to suit. However if a classic bike can only achieve a certain top speed (less than the National speed limit) but that is the bike the candidate uses, then I am sure the candidate will be allowed to use it.
    With respect to indicators, if the bike passes the MOT without indicators then it is suitable for the road. Besides indicators are just one way to signal your intended direction :-)

As far as I am aware, riders and observers have used everything from twist and go scooters to custom cruisers to classic machines.

The key point of the training is to pass on knowledge gained and improve skills on how to be a better (safer) rider on the road regardless of the machine or road being ridden. So that should the rider change bikes, the skills and knowledge gained goes with the rider.

I can't back this up with statistics, but I am sure if you talk to any rider who has done advanced training, they will tell you that because of the knowledge gained they are now faster and more confident (through the bends and straights) and feel safer regardless of the size of machine they are riding.

Bb, that was a brilliant question. Got any more?

Hi Dennis, just one questions is there a limit on how long you have ridden a bike, might be a stupid question but if you have only been riding for a few months would it be better to get some experience first. I know some courses you have had to have ridden for at least a year?

Regards

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbiker61 View Post
    Hi Dennis, just one questions is there a limit on how long you have ridden a bike, might be a stupid question but if you have only been riding for a few months would it be better to get some experience first. I know some courses you have had to have ridden for at least a year?

Regards

Gary
    Gary, I believe that once you have your full bike licence (not learners) you are good to go.
    If you think about it, once you pass your test and are on the road, you are at risk, the same as everyone else. In fact if you are are new rider, your confidence and road craft skills are less developed, so one may argue you are more at risk than a rider with some experience under their belt.
    Why "gain experience" the hard way by yourself, when you can be guided by someone more experienced, who can make the process easier (and hopefully less painful) :-)

The reality is that once you have mastered the basics of operating the controls on the motorcycle (needed to pass your test), you are ready to learn the tips and tricks of how to read the road and give yourself the best chance of minimizing your risk of being in an accident.

Hopefully that has answered your very good question. Any more?

Dennis thank you for your reply, I will work out my shifts and see when I can attend.
    regards Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis_Sinanan View Post
    Good question.

I may be subject to correction but as far as I am aware, the minimum is that the bike is road worthy (i.e. has a valid MOT) and insurance.

Age of bike or rider :-) is irrelevant.
    As for engine size, the bike should be able to meet National speed limits to cover all road types, so that might rule out speed limited 50cc mopeds but not necessarily as the training can be tailored to suit. However if a classic bike can only achieve a certain top speed (less than the National speed limit) but that is the bike the candidate uses, then I am sure the candidate will be allowed to use it.
    With respect to indicators, if the bike passes the MOT without indicators then it is suitable for the road. Besides indicators are just one way to signal your intended direction :-)

As far as I am aware, riders and observers have used everything from twist and go scooters to custom cruisers to classic machines.

The key point of the training is to pass on knowledge gained and improve skills on how to be a better (safer) rider on the road regardless of the machine or road being ridden. So that should the rider change bikes, the skills and knowledge gained goes with the rider.

I can't back this up with statistics, but I am sure if you talk to any rider who has done advanced training, they will tell you that because of the knowledge gained they are now faster and more confident (through the bends and straights) and feel safer regardless of the size of machine they are riding.

Bb, that was a brilliant question. Got any more?
    Dennis, you can undergo IAM advanced training but unless you have a bike that can attain the national speed limits then you won't be recommended to take the test. You need to be able to demonstrate that you can do the right things at the speed limit and not just at 40 or 50. Quote from IAM website "Motorcycles must be capable of sustaining the national speed limit when it is safe and legal to do so."

Bob

Well spotted Bob!

I guess (to me ) the important bit is that you can benefit from the training despite the bike not being able to make the NSL. With respect to the recommendation for test, I assume it would be up to the observer to discuss with the candidate the suitability of the machinery. Maybe there may be the possibility of using a rented/loaned bike for the test. Besides, in my opinion, the test/certificate is incidental, the real value is in the knowledge and skills gained.

I know this is a little bit of an old thread now, but i was an IAM observer for the local group, and the minimum requirements are at least 125cc and your bike must be roadworthy (MOT, Tax, Insurance) although with the abolition of the tax disc, you only now have to sign a disclaimer to say that you have it.