Notices

Thread: How many times more likely are you to be involved in an accident than a car? ... read on

1. How many times more likely are you to be involved in an accident than a car? ... read on 
    According to ROSPA (Police Riders handbook 2013 ) a motorcyclist is no more likely to have an accident than a car driver ........
    However we are 50x more likely to be injured in it and 13x more likely to be killed or seriously injured ......

I always felt that as a rider I was more likely to be involved in accident, I was wrong. So just how important is a decent lid, level 2 armour for chest, back etc?
    Counting down until my next ride out!

Good kit is worth the investment, having skipped down the road following a collision with a deer I can definitely vouch for it!
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

I agree with you. Good kit is very important for protection.

However, I don't like playing the odds by hoping my kit alone will protect me. I am determined to do (learn) as much as possible to prevent me from being in an accident in the first place.
    So instead of paying large sums of money for the most expensive protective kit, I choose to spend some on advanced training (bikesafe, IAM/ROSPA etc) and a reasonable amount on protective kit.

the best way to survive an accident is to not be in it :-)
    But I guess if you are caught up in an accident, having good protective kit increases your chances of getting up and riding again.

How is your ROSPA training going?

I have my ROSPA test on Friday .... so just rereading the handbook ! Have ridden the likely routes on my ZZR many times

I wish you best of luck.
    With the amount of preparation you have put in, I am confident it will be a Gold class day :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis_Sinanan View Post
    I wish you best of luck.
    With the amount of preparation you have put in, I am confident it will be a Gold class day :-)
    I will do my best and see what we get on the day.

Good luck for Friday, training is good
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Quote Originally Posted by BB View Post
    Good luck for Friday, training is good
    Cheers, I have been riding out for about a year now with a trainer. Its been good just to get out and ride. Pete is a really nice chap too so its always good to get out with a decent rider. Had good rides and bad rides but always good to get another perspective on your own ride. But I know for some it's really hard to take feedback and take it as criticism and pettiness. The bottom line is safety and thats got to be good. But I can honestly say that my cornering is so much more progressive and using the vanishing points competently gets you moving.