Notices

Thread: Specs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Specs 
    Banned
    I'd put off the opticians for about 20 years, and now discovered that I should be wearing glasses for distance stuff. My eyesight is ok for driving without, but since getting my glasses spend all day in them when on the road behind the wheel.

However I've no experience of riding with glasses, should I consider getting a 'cheap' pair to use on the bike, what type of frame is better for in a lid, anything else to keep in mind?

I wear mine all the time as long as they fit nice should be no problem, however thought about contact lenses

Up to you if you want a 'cheap' pair, recommend take your helmet along when you go to get them and get a either a robust frame or flexible frame to wriggle in over your ears! Always good having a couple of pairs if you can afford it. I've got small framed lenses for helmet wear and slightly larger pair for none bike riding.

Best advice? Remember to take them off before removing full face helmet - can be painful physically and fiscally if you don't!

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

I've always had similar glasses that have straight sides rather than the ones that wrap over the top of your ears. These have always been secure and very comfortable. The ones I have are quicksilver from Specsavers, spot on and strong, and yes I have tried taking my helmet off before the glasses. Contacts are better, but personally I can't always be bothered. Hope this helps

contact lenses are pretty comfortable these day. Make sure you clean them, they build up protein on them which isn't great for both vision and comfort. You can get those ones that you can leave in for a month.

Platinum Member
    Can't you get prescription visors yet?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch9128 View Post
    Can't you get prescription visors yet?
    That did briefly cross my mind!!

Banned
    Thanks for the replies. Does misting up come about much, if so anything better or worse?

glasses are not that much fun if you get caught in the rain.

I've always worn glasses when riding, smaller frames with straighter arms are best, never had a problem with steaming up.
    I did once put my lid on without removing my glasses accidentally, bad move.... broke them clean in half on the bridge across the nose, as I'm blind as a bat without them and I was at Compton Abbas airfield at the time, I had to borrow some sellotape and make emergency repairs and rode home looking like Jack Duckworth...
    Last edited by Toph; 24-06-15 at 06:54 PM.
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'