Notices

Thread: Bike maintenance after riding in the rain?

1. Bike maintenance after riding in the rain? 
    I've got my bike booked in for an MOT this Saturday. I've just checked the weather, and there's a 40% chance of rain, so I've got 2 options:

1. Ride to and from the MOT garage in the rain.
    2. Change the date of the MOT to a sunnier day.

I have no issues riding in the rain as I've done it regularly in the past, but not on my new S1000RR. If I do go in the rain, what sort of maintenance should I be doing when I get home? A quick jet wash to get rid of any crap and then wipe everything as best I can? What would I do about the bits underneath the fairings? I don't want to get rust or anything else...

What would you do?

Any and all advice is appreciated
    "Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out of a moving car window"

2012 BMW S1000RR
    1999 Kawasaki ER500

facebook.com/upshiftmedia

The old 'shiny bike in the rain' conundrum! If you have another bike to use on wet days then cancel and rebook when it looks like decent weather, if not then your BM is going to get mucky sometime so may as well be for it's first MOT. If you're going to be using it over over the weekend then a quick wash (hose not jet wash my preference but each to their own), wipe dry best you can and then give it a good clean when you next lay it up for a few days.

Thanks for the advice Trev. I'll keep my eye on the weather, if it still looks really bad by Thursday I'll phone and rearrange with them. Already the chance of rain has gone down to 20 - 40%, so it might yet be alright... Thanks for the advice!
    "Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out of a moving car window"

2012 BMW S1000RR
    1999 Kawasaki ER500

facebook.com/upshiftmedia

Remember rain mode as well if it does chuck it down.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I would wet the bike, then use some muck off when you get back. Leave to soak and then jet wash off. Hopefully with global warming you should get a couple of days riding in this summer !
    Counting down until my next ride out!

Platinum Member
    Never leave muc off for long on any finish, it will strip and tarnish it very quick.

If i was you, i wouldn't, given the reliability issues of bimmers.

Quote Originally Posted by MayallRob View Post
    I've got my bike booked in for an MOT this Saturday. I've just checked the weather, and there's a 40% chance of rain, so I've got 2 options:

1. Ride to and from the MOT garage in the rain.
    2. Change the date of the MOT to a sunnier day.

I have no issues riding in the rain as I've done it regularly in the past, but not on my new S1000RR. If I do go in the rain, what sort of maintenance should I be doing when I get home? A quick jet wash to get rid of any crap and then wipe everything as best I can? What would I do about the bits underneath the fairings? I don't want to get rust or anything else...

What would you do?

Any and all advice is appreciated
    No way would I cancel a bit of rain isnt going to harm your bike.

Personally I'd never use a jet wash on my bike. I'd treat yourself to some top of the range bike cleaning products, cleaning equipment and a dryer and enjoy the bike - that's what its for. Get yourself some ACF50 and FS365 to protect it too.

If you are willing to clean it after properly, using good quality products, after each wet/dirty ride no reason at all why it cant stay looking pristine.

I wouldn't use a jet wash on any bike, especially on a S1000RR, the sensors that it has might get water in them. I know someone's going to say what about riding in the rain, well a jet wash has a lot more pressure and can force water in to where you don't want it.

Probably only want a wipe over when you get back.