Notices

Thread: Two guys on a Honda BB, T shirt and trainers, GSX R jeans and trainers today..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Two guys on a Honda BB, T shirt and trainers, GSX R jeans and trainers today.. 
    Each to their own, but I do think that if we ride without simple protection then we have a dangerous attitude to risk. Being very familier with a situation e.g. riding motorbikes without experiencing a near miss or accident for a long while can skew attitude to risk. Making people feel invincible or less likely to have an accident than other riders. (Riders thinking they are better than the average). This attitude is more likely to make a person take bigger risks. I was behind the guys and they whizzed past, over taking cars past right hand turns. It did make me wince when they shot passed a line of cars with a right turn to a busy car park, where I often see cars shoot across before the lights change ahead.
    This is just the opposite attitude of a rider that has had a near miss or accident, for a short while who sees the risks as larger than they actually are. Until they settle down again into a familiar old riding pattern. But according to ROSPA they do say that people don't learn from experience after the initial accident shock passes out of mind. They state that if you have had an accident you are far more likely to have another one in the next 3 years. That should be a clue to our own human problem. Meaning that we fail to learn from the experience, usually blaming the other person for violating there right of way etc. Wasn't my fault. Which according to stats it is mainly other drivers fault in bike accidents. However just because car drivers cause many of our accidents it doesn't mean we can't be aware of the risks and try and prevent/avoid them. Or prevent getting into the risky situation.
    But perhaps I am biased as a diploma member of the institute of risk management and risk averse!
    Counting down until my next ride out!

Banned
    Bloke on a GSX the other day dressed in tee shirt, shorts and espadrilles
    Not even wearing gloves

Having seen the state of gloves after crashing a few times, it really makes me cringe when I see people without gloves. Wearing just a t-shirt... they'll learn the hard way I broke my elbow around 30mph with a CE armoured jacket.

I have ridden in T shirt jeans and trainers many times, admittedly that was in the 70's when it was acceptable and we were all just a bit crazy (well alright a lot crazy). I have had gravel rash more times than I care to remember and yes it hurts. I wouldn't ride anywhere now without full leathers, gloves and boots, I have always worn a helmet, even in the 70's we weren't that stupid.
    The older I get the better I was

http://alanjones.myqnapcloud.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I have ridden in T shirt jeans and trainers many times, admittedly that was in the 70's when it was acceptable and we were all just a bit crazy (well alright a lot crazy). I have had gravel rash more times than I care to remember and yes it hurts. I wouldn't ride anywhere now without full leathers, gloves and boots, I have always worn a helmet, even in the 70's we weren't that stupid.
    I've seen some of my Uncles racing helmets from the 70s, I wouldn't have said they would have offered much protection better than none I suppose.... The padding was really really thin. They say there is 2 types of bikers, those that have binned it, and those that are about to bin it. The squids should get on LiveLeak and search horrific motorcycle accidents... Its certainly a reality check.

More serious than that. These people raise the stats for serious accidents which forces the hand of the government to put further restrictions on bikers.

Up to them really, personal choices and all that

I am with Wes, legally all we have to wear is a helmet (and pants if we don't want to get done for exposure). Might be stupid but it's each persons choice.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I am old enough to remember the fuss when compulsory helmets and seat belts were introduced and people saying no ones telling me what to do. Now most people wouldn't ride or drive without them. It is personal choice, but I wouldn't want to see it legislated what we wear. No way am I being told I have to wear hi viz clothing to make up for the myopic car drivers short comings
    The older I get the better I was

http://alanjones.myqnapcloud.com/

Diamond Member
    I'm with Wes and Dave. You can only educate bikers then the ultimate decision lies with them. I have been riding bikes since mid 70s and if I dwelled too much on what might happen I'd give it up. I wear protective clothing and we can all ride in such a way as to lower the risk, but the bottom line here is if you want to eliminate the risk completely give it up. Riding a bike is risky - is that not part of the appeal? I mean no one with a full picnic basket up top would ride a bike. Lol
    Last edited by redken1; 16-04-15 at 07:57 PM.