Notices

Thread: Two guys on a Honda BB, T shirt and trainers, GSX R jeans and trainers today..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I agree it is a personal choice, I wouldn't change that, as it is each to their own. But Hi-Viz is a totally different risk argument to armour.
    Hi-Viz to its supporters (juries out (I wear it in the dark and fog)) is a supposed preventative risk control reducing the likeliness that a risk (accident) will materialise, it won't help you if the risk materialises, you head butt a car in a silly looking jacket instead of a cool looking black one. But it is supposed to prevent accidents from materialising in the first place (no evidence yet). Armour's risk argument is that it lessons the consequences not the likeliness , as it is supposed to lesson the consequences when the risk materialises, more so than wearing a T shirt.

Armour can have adverse consequences in risk, as it can give the rider a feeling of extra safety and in turn a rider might take more risks wearing it. Risk compensation. Remember the old argument that if you put a spike on a cars steering wheel aimed at a drivers face they would drive more safely !!
    Last edited by shiftyblake; 16-04-15 at 08:08 PM.
    Counting down until my next ride out!

Banned
    I'll never wear hi-viz

Quote Originally Posted by Uber Dave View Post
    I am with Wes, legally all we have to wear is a helmet (and pants if we don't want to get done for exposure). Might be stupid but it's each persons choice.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
    There are lots of things that we aren't legally required to do but are socially unacceptable.
    Just because you can do something, doesn't mean it should be done.
    We need to put pressure on riders like this because it makes the rest of us look bad.
    When was the last time you heard anyone comment on how safely a biker was riding?
    People only remember the bad and it spreads like wild fire.
    I never nod to "squids" or engage I conversation. They're not bikers they're wanna-bes.

Human nature unfortunately, the same mentality that will get wild birds to come to your bird table and trust you after you don't eat them the first couple of times works with us, it may be stupid, it may be dangerous but if you don't get wiped out your brain says it's OK. Some folk don't seem to have the gumption to fight that bit of nature.

Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie_S View Post
    Human nature unfortunately, the same mentality that will get wild birds to come to your bird table and trust you after you don't eat them the first couple of times works with us, it may be stupid, it may be dangerous but if you don't get wiped out your brain says it's OK. Some folk don't seem to have the gumption to fight that bit of nature.
    In light of the fact that bikers are 25 times more likely to be involved in an accident, could this theory not be applied to all bikers?

Quote Originally Posted by redken1 View Post
    In light of the fact that bikers are 25 times more likely to be involved in an accident, could this theory not be applied to all bikers?
    Stats can be manipulated to suit any argument.
    If the propaganda said "if you ride like a bellend, you're 25 times more likely to be involved in an accident" nobody would take any notice.
    How many riders from Bath Classics have been involve in an accident recently?
    Riders from the GS owners club? Riders HD club?
    I bet not many.
    If you broke it down further you would find The bulk of these stats is made up of sports bike riders and couriers, yet everyone gets put into the same bracket.
    The government are reluctant to target one group because they're worried that the rest will think "that's not me, so I'm fine"

Platinum Member
    Personal choice innit, i see people stupid enough to smoke every day, they WILL most certainly die of some smoking related illness, but hey it's really none of my business. None of you lot are stupid enough to smoke, are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch9128 View Post
    Personal choice innit, i see people stupid enough to smoke every day, they WILL most certainly die of some smoking related illness, but hey it's really none of my business. None of you lot are stupid enough to smoke, are you?
    I son't smoke but if I did it wouldn't be while wearing trainers Tshirt, full leathers and armour for me ; )

I sat in a brilliant lecture on statistics (if you like that sort of thing - yes I may be a little sad...) where the guy proved mathematically from the stats that all motorcyclists are dead by the age of 25.

Of course this is nonsense, but as a demonstration of the power of statistical evaluation it was an eye opener!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W View Post
    I sat in a brilliant lecture on statistics (if you like that sort of thing - yes I may be a little sad...) where the guy proved mathematically from the stats that all motorcyclists are dead by the age of 25.

Of course this is nonsense, but as a demonstration of the power of statistical evaluation it was an eye opener!
    Like it!
    Counting down until my next ride out!