Notices

Thread: I tested out the ION Air Pro Action-cam...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Really Mitch - I'll have a look for that I kinda like tinkering with stuff... I'm guessing the fur breaks up the wind,they have them on telly mics it's a furry wind gag, I'm guessing it should work the same way?

Platinum Member

Nice one, says not hinging about how to do it... its only 2 wires, I shall take mine apart and have a look.

Here is how to do it on an SJ.... your disassembly will be different but the actual removing old mic and soldering on new should be similar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9MPZD5s30I

Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    Here is how to do it on an SJ.... your disassembly will be different but the actual removing old mic and soldering on new should be similar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9MPZD5s30I
    Nice one WR, have you tried this Mod yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntsunlimited View Post
    Nice one WR, have you tried this Mod yourself?
    I plan too. I took apart my old (non sj) cam and my SJ yesterday to eye up how easy/hard it would be. It appears straightforward, clipping the old mic off and just soldering 2 wires. The part for the SJ that the video does not do and has me thinking is how to then create a hole in the separate waterproof case and keep it at least "weatherproof".

Only issue I've come across so far is finding the right jack, though I've only looked briefly on eBay. A low profile panel mount like this is needed http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-8-3-5mm-...item1e8d3ce9f7 but I'm dammed if I'm paying £13 for one from the US, all the UK jacks of that type seem to be 1/4" (6.5mm) not the 1/8" needed. The chunkier things for sale with the plastic bodies on them I don't think would be an easy fit. They must be sold somewhere just it's low down on my to-do list.

Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    I plan too. I took apart my old (non sj) cam and my SJ yesterday to eye up how easy/hard it would be. It appears straightforward, clipping the old mic off and just soldering 2 wires. The part for the SJ that the video does not do and has me thinking is how to then create a hole in the separate waterproof case and keep it at least "weatherproof".

Only issue I've come across so far is finding the right jack, though I've only looked briefly on eBay. A low profile panel mount like this is needed http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-8-3-5mm-...item1e8d3ce9f7 but I'm dammed if I'm paying £13 for one from the US, all the UK jacks of that type seem to be 1/4" (6.5mm) not the 1/8" needed. The chunkier things for sale with the plastic bodies on them I don't think would be an easy fit. They must be sold somewhere just it's low down on my to-do list.
    What about a small two prong latch plug connector? even smaller profile than a jack plug, you can hot glue the hole that the cables come out of making it water proof... just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntsunlimited View Post
    What about a small two prong latch plug connector? even smaller profile than a jack plug, you can hot glue the hole that the cables come out of making it water proof... just a thought.
    Sounds plausible, unfortunately it's dropped very low on my to do list now, the ZZR crapped out on me yesterday.