Notices

Thread: Bike tax increases

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    They should be encouraging people to use bikes rather than the opposite
    So much for all the going green BS they keep spouting

We who pay all form's of tax, are paying for those who don't pay it, if they was made too would we need a tax increase at all, politicians don't set a good example, is this why they don't put it on fuel, why would they, they have us too pay tax and they are not in it for us.

Quote Originally Posted by BugsyB View Post
    Easy answer is to abolish Road Tax and gather the money on fuel. The more you drive and use fuel, the more you pay.
    They have always done that AS WELL. Never had understood why there is such massive duty on fags, booze and fuel.
    I only have one vice…I lie.

Not for MP's they claim it back on expenses, and the people they truly represent don't pay tax at all, your right it's all smoker and mirrors and all at our expense.
    Last edited by Republic; 23-03-15 at 08:03 AM.

Given the state of the nations finances; I'm sorry but I can't get excited by a 1.7 or 1.25% increase (over 400/600 respectively). It grieves me that the money raised by VED is not spent on the roads, but again that is simply a function of how public services are funded. I have long wondered why VED is not scrapped and the money raised directly through an increase in fuel duty. A plausible if not 'the' answer lies in the fact that fuel prices are included in the official inflation figures so the govt won't take the hit on that or risk the implications to the financial markets, albeit only a one off increase. Maybe now with the recent drop in fuel prices this could be a good time to do it?
    Orange ones are faster, but red ones are more comfortable!

I can't say a £1 increase (for me this will cost a total of £2 extra per year) in bike tax will make much difference. Fuel and insurance costs pale this into insignificance.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

Atleast its only a pound, it could have been a lot worse! I'll take a look at this thread in 5 years time and try not to cry...

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    They should be encouraging people to use bikes rather than the opposite
    So much for all the going green BS they keep spouting
    We all know the story with these.... I went ltd company last year. Basically I pay myself as little as possible each month. Apparently my company can pay for my R1 and there is a tax incentive for it. Thanks tax man.

Road tax is a way of ensuring vehicles are insured and MOT'd, which is one of the reasons I believe for the recent change where tax cannot be transferred with the vehicle. For this reason I am happy to keep road tax, although given the tax breaks for low emission cars, I think it is too high on bikes. The vehicle has to be insured and MOT'd to be taxed, and Road Tax is very easy to monitor, if a vehicle is not SORN'd or taxed, they can automatically issue a fine and ANPR will pick up vehicles that are not taxed. It would not be so easy to monitor insurance and MOT's. If it helps to keep the number of uninsured vehicles on the road down than I am in favour of it.
    The older I get the better I was

http://alanjones.myqnapcloud.com/