Notices

Thread: "Only 504 under-19s take motorcycle test in 12 months" Visordown

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    If someone invented bikes today they would be banned before they even got on the roads

I am of an age to remember when the streets was empty, when a car was a dream, and a pipe dream at that, when men walked or got a bus or had a bicycle too go too work and if lucky enough could just about save up for a motorcycle, at the time the lack of training and proper testing, and lack of legislation surrounding safety equipment lead to carnage on the roads, this lead to the motorcycle getting the reputation of being death traps, now much of this has changed but the motorcycles reputation has largely not, I believe that this is now unjustifiable, but going back in time the motorcycle was always hobson's choice, and the car would if could be the first choice, now car's over the years have become great value for money, and hobson's choice has become very much less so, servicing chargers, mpg, and so on. this I believe is more too do with why motorcycles are not so popular, on the up side I got into motorcycling 20 years ago because of the traffic jams and It's got a lot worse since then, this maybe will lead to more seeing literally the way forward.

Banned
    Why do the governments hate motorcycles so much? We all know they couldn't careless about us as people

'Silver' riders passed a long time ago before all this multi stage testing, youngsters statistically don't vote hence Governments don't care.

If they could find more ways of screwing money out of us they might listen more, but then maybe one day road fund might be used to fund pothole repairs.

My 2p worth. I believe it all stems from Europe - as part of the standardization of licenses. Other european countries, like France for example have multistage tests, and then their argument is why should a UK license equal a French license if they don't have to pass as many tests as we do? So the test is going towards the highest common factor to suit all other euro countries. I wouldn't be surprised if new license holders are obliged to undertake a basic first aid course, so that they can be able to assist if they are first upon the scene of an accident, as is compelled to do in France.
    (Not that I am against motorists knowing basic first aid, although that is perhaps another complete debate on its own)

Sounds like too much legislation ... It is always good to have a knowledge of first aid .... you never know when you may need it .... I have only done 2 CPR jobs in my life ... I recall telling one old chap not to fu**ing die while I was doing CPR ... he did as he was told! they lived until the ambulances got there ... don't know if they survived hospital though ... but do you need it as a biker ? Richard.
    It's not about my ears ... it's about my ride!

Just glad I got in about 2 months before the new laws! CBT at 17 on a 125cc, A2 test at 18 on a 500cc and fully unrestricted on a 900cc at 20!