Notices

Thread: Clutchless shifting?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Clutchless shifting? 
    Read some articles and watched a bit of YouTube on the subject and thought I'd give it a try yesterday. Once I got the hang of it it seemed to be very smooth when changing up. Question is would people recommend it or am I doing irreparable harm to my bike.

I've done it for years. Not all the time - normally when I'm on a leisurely ride or carrying a pillion as I find it a much smoother gear change. As long as you get the revs right I'm not aware that it causes any damage.

There are some that say they very rarely use the clutch, up or down (except 1 to 2).
    My owners manual tells me to ALWAYS use the clutch. Occasionally I do change up sans clutch when poodling along with only one hand on the bars !
    I only have one vice…I lie.

I do it quite a lot on a variety of bikes - old and new Just need to get the timing & revs right
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

I rarely use the clutch on up shifts, I almost always use it on down shifts. I have a quickshifter fitted so no need for the clutch on any upshift, but it can be jerky at low revs, so at anything below 4k revs, I tend to use the normal clutchless shift method of rolling off the throttle very slightly whilst snicking in the next gear. Before I had the quickshifter fitted, I would use clutchless up shifts at anything up to around 9k rpm, after that I did use the clutch just in case of a missed shift. With the quickshifter I happily shift at the red line (13k) without the clutch
    The older I get the better I was

http://alanjones.myqnapcloud.com/

Banned
    I prefer it but don't do it just incase

I do it up the gears most the time. And every now and then down as well (I have a slipper clutch so it makes it much easier to go back down)

A quick shifter just uses electronics to do what you are doing manually but it does it much much faster. If it was bad for the clutch they wouldn't use them in racing or be now factory fitting quick shifts to new bikes. Some quick shifters also support up and down so it should be no issues with you doing it manually either.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I do it quite often up shifting and down shifting sometimes. Usually by throttling off quickly for down shifts. But I do it when I'm a bit bored in traffic !

Yup done it for years, depends on the bike though - clutchless changes on the Enfield can be a clunky affair and needs patience, the worst for is the MT03, best is my Suzuki X7, what a sweet gearbox that has - no external gear level linkage helps.

My DCT equipped NC700X is probably cheating ; )

Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    My DCT equipped NC700X is probably cheating ; )
    Only a bit
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”