Notices

Thread: Recommendations good / bad?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I believe the bike you are looking at has the auto box which some say can throw up a few glitches now and again. I'd plump for the manual FJR.

Hi Gibbo,
    It's actually the blue bike in the used bike section, with manual box. I did have a quick look at the one you mentioned, and I just couldn't bear to bring myself to ride a bike without a clutch lever. I mean how can you do a controlled take off without a clutch? Or how can you trickle along in slow traffic, I like to "tickle" the clutch and drag the back brake. Can't see how you can do those things easily. Just my 2p worth.

Quote Originally Posted by jfranci1 View Post
    Hi Gibbo,
    It's actually the blue bike in the used bike section, with manual box. I did have a quick look at the one you mentioned, and I just couldn't bear to bring myself to ride a bike without a clutch lever. I mean how can you do a controlled take off without a clutch? Or how can you trickle along in slow traffic, I like to "tickle" the clutch and drag the back brake. Can't see how you can do those things easily. Just my 2p worth.
    Not sure on the FJR auto but take a test ride on a DCT equipped Honda before making a judgement, I've been a 'clutch lever type of guy' since I learnt to ride in a field on an old TS100 (and still have a few bikes with this old fashioned transmission design ; ) ), but have to say I love the DCT on my NC700X and slow speed riding is an absolute piece of wee wee. They do a DCT Crosstourer if you want a big old lump with some more oomphh

I bought my first bike from blade kawasaki in swindon. have to admit that they done everything in their power to help answer questions etc. didnt get to start it when i got there as it was inside and the weather was terrible but i couldn't fault the lad i was dealing with.
    you might have got a lazy so and so and on saturday might be worth asking to deal with another sales person from the yamaha side who is willing to work for their sale.

Hi All,
    Just thought that I would give an update. I arrived first thing Saturday morning, and the bike had been charged up and filled with 1/2 tank of petrol. I took it for a test ride, and cam back with a couple of reservations. The first was that the engine "ticked", which appeared to be cam chain noise. (the bike had 32K miles on the clock). The second was that the front end felt skittish at 70 mph, seemed to be hopping left and right. Only very slightly, but enough to make me feel that I could not relax on the bike. Speaking to the technician afterwards, and he said that the front end was set up on the softest of the settings, so I couldn't blame it on the front end being too stiff for me. With that in mind, I walked away from this bike, but will still be looking out for one. If anyone can offer any advice on FJR1300's that would be much appreciated. Many thanks, John

firstly, your choice only you can decide.
    secondly, how did mechanic know it was on the softest setting? did he set it himself? would anyone else there have known?? what would they have said???
    were the tyres worn out or low or too high on pressure? that would make it wander, alternatively for a 32k mile bike could well have been wheel bearings or suspension bushes.
    when was the fork oil checked or changed??
    too many questions , dont blame yourself, if really interested you could get someone else to ride it as well.

Hi Wheelers,
    Many thanks for your reply. The technician showed me the adjusters on the front forks. They have horizontal lines around a central shaft, that adds preload to the springs, and they were backed right off. i.e. 3 lines showing. The tyres were new, and appeared to be at the right pressure, although I did not have my pencil gauge with me to check them. The other points you mentioned are all equally valid, I just assumed that the dealer would have checked all that, as they advertise a 50 point check, on all their second hand bikes. Perhaps I should never assume anything, and check it all myself!
    Cheers John

Hi jf
    The FJR is a great bike and I'm looking at a few myself at the moment. I googled the FJR and up came the FJR club which is based somewhere near Wootton Under Edge.
    All the info you need to know including the FJR's Achilles Heel which seems to be rear linkage arm bearings which can seize if not maintained properly. Have a look anyway.

I don't think that is unusual service car dealers are known for it but bike dealers in general are worse. I just don't expect anything like good service so I'm not disappointed. I made a special trip arranged to try on some rukka gear that they ordered in. £1400 at one of the dealers. The parts guy wasn't there and the other guy couldn't be arsed and told me to come back another day. I persisted and as much as he tried not for me to buy it I did. He even said that he couldn't do the sale today as he didn't know the price!

I wouldn't say no to a dealer bike but would like to know from others who have had dealings with them for some time.
    I would buy from Phoenix in Trowbridge but that is a case of knowing them for years, not had any issues with them and always found them fair and helpful.