Notices

Thread: Recommendations good / bad?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Recommendations good / bad? 
    Hi All,
    I am thinking of buying a second hand Yamaha from Blades in Swindon, and would like to hear your advice, good and/or bad.
    I had a look at the bike in question last Saturday (they knew I was coming). They pointed to the bike in question, which was
    trapped in a line of bikes, and I had to ask them to get it out, so I could have a closer look at it. They were unable to answer any specific
    questions I had about it, and I couldn't even hear the engine running as the battery was flat.
    On top of that the salesperson, was of the old school second hand car salesmans tactics, "You don't get many in that condition"
    and "you won't find one cheaper anywhere else", (Autotrader says otherwise,) etc., etc.
    I was obviously not impressed, but would like to know whether my experience was a one off or not, so your comments would be appreciated,
    Many thanks John

Personally I'd never buy a 2nd hand bike from a dealer, I don't see any worthwhile reason to pay the premium over a (well researched) private sale (but I don't value my time at anything).

If they knew you were coming leaving it in the line, a flat battery and not quickly swotting up on its history seems inexcusable.

If they knew you were coming and couldnt even be bothered to shift it out and get a new battery or connect it up to get it started for you in my book they dont deserve to make a sale.

If they dont make any effort when you want to buy from them I hate to imagine how they'd deal with any after sale problems!

I'd look elsewhere, plenty of other places to buy bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    Personally I'd never buy a 2nd hand bike from a dealer, I don't see any worthwhile reason to pay the premium over a (well researched) private sale
    I am with WR6133 on this one, look on Gumtree, Autotrader and eBay and see what is out there. Most bikers are honest and genuine, so as long as you do your homework and ask the right questions, you will probably get a much better deal than going to a dealer. I bought my bike off eBay unseen. Bit risky, but it was only 2 years old with 3k miles on the clock so I thought worth taking a chance, especially as it was at least £2k cheaper than I could find in the South West. Cost me £114 to have it collected and delivered. Might not be for everyone, but there are some bargains out there, especially up North
    The older I get the better I was

http://alanjones.myqnapcloud.com/

I bought a CB500 for an ex up there and i couldn't fault the service to be honest. But i must say that Mikkie who used to work there was a bit different. He actually refused to sell me something once because he didn't feel that it would be right for me....
    But surely if someone say they are interested in seeing something, then you would make a bit of an effort? Sad if its got to that...
    "the empty can rattles the most!"

https://www.facebook.com/neil.hudd

I actually applied for a job in that part of blade doing sales! They never even emailed me a refusal

The trade centre up there will miss Mikkie as much as the rest of us will, I bought one from him for Hazel and the experience was exemplary
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

Hi Folks,
    Thanks for the feedback. I have a test ride this Saturday morning (FJR1300), so I will give them a second chance to see if things improve.
    Cheers John

Banned
    Apart from Mikkie I don't think I'd buy a bike from a dealer, especially if they couldn't be arsed to move it so that I could have a look at it.

Platinum Member
    This dealer sounds awful. If they won't lift a finger for a sale then what help will you get if there's an issue?
    Personally I don't think I'd give them a second chance.

However would point out that buying from a dealer does give you legal rights and whilst those can be troublesome to enforce directly, if you pay a small amount on a credit card then the card company are jointly liable.
    If there are charges for paying by card then I usually put £1 on it as a precaution to get the protection.
    That doesn't negate any research for me, just provides extra protection if the dealer goes bust (which does happen) or renages on their obligations - so I'd say there are definitely advantages in buying from a dealer.