Notices

Thread: Cotswold Airport threatened

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by simmo5159 View Post
    Don't worry we will be open for a few more Hot Cross Bun Runs yet!

Julian
    Air Traffic Service
    Cotswold Airport

Though I fear that now the offer has been mooted, progress will be quick.

Best we fill our boots while we can.
    Everything else is shyte

I have a dream...

Instead of MORE housing, MORE hospitals, MORE roads, MORE runways, MORE trains, MORE schools, MORE prisons, MORE power generation etc...

Why can't we aim for LESS people ???
    Last edited by Burbler; 26-02-15 at 02:52 PM.
    I only have one vice…I lie.

Platinum Member
    Why can't we aim for LESS people ???
    Whilst we have open borders with the EU then that's pretty hard to implement.

All very well keep building on places like that but could do with building on a few brown field sites rather can keep digging up the grass - even if the grass is between runways!
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Diamond Member
    Local authorities across England plan to sell-off £13.5 billion of land and assets to property developers over the next five years as councils look for more ways to turn assets into sources of revenue - to make up the shortfall in the reduction of the block grant from central government - to help support local services. For example, Mendip Council are considering selling-off our small football pitch and play park in the Mount in Frome. It is a facility which is enjoyed and well used by local residents of all ages for various recreational activities. What really angers me is that on one hand our local and national politicians argue that obesity in our young is a time-bomb, yet on the other they are stealing our parks which they have no right to sell as they do not belong to them. Moreover, I doubt the land sale will be subjected to a proviso to provide affordable housing as this would significantly reduce the asking price. Of course, we need affordable housing, but this smacks of short-sighted short-term desperation. IMHO I can’t see how an unregulated private housing sector will provide genuine affordable housing for rent or to buy for most prospective ‘first timers’. Perhaps, if we viewed property, primarily as a home and not as a financial investment, I might be proved wrong.
    Last edited by redken1; 28-02-15 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redken1 View Post
    Perhaps, if we viewed property, primarily as a home and not as a financial investment, I might be proved wrong.
    Hugely valid point about affordable housing.

The little village in the Rhondda my family is from used to be so cheap to buy an old miners terrace you could have found the required mortgage deposit in old pennies on the floor. Now that's no longer the case and hardly anyone living there owns their house because they have been snapped up (and prices driven up) by buy to let investors. The area is still a deprived, dump with little employment but that in itself has become a cash cow for the buy to let crowd as their tenants have their rent paid by the council.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by simmo5159 View Post
    Don't worry we will be open for a few more Hot Cross Bun Runs yet!

Julian
    Air Traffic Service
    Cotswold Airport
    Looking forward to this year's Bun Run
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

Let me fix that billboard for you Swanny

snigger!
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”