Notices

Thread: Whats with trying to impersonate bike police?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Whats with trying to impersonate bike police? 
    What is it that makes riders wear white helmets, hi viz with blue police looking decals and bikes stickered up like a motorway maintenance van?? I just don't get it, I passed one out of Calne yesterday morning?
    Counting down until my next ride out!

I'm guessing it's because they believe they will be more 'visible' to other road users if they look similar to coppers? I see quite a few at IAM gatherings wearing hi viz with the word POLITE in same size and type face as the police version and other wording (usually 'notice Think Bike) in smaller text. The suppliers of the jackets say it's proven to slow drivers down, not sure how drivers feel about it when they realise they've been suckered, probably not very polite towards the rider ; )

Really not sure myself, could it be interpreted as a little ........ wannabe?

Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    wannabe?
    Polite vests.... you spelled the last word wrong Trev after the first "n" it's "ker".

Diamond Member
    I don't have a problem with bikers who have a fetish for dressing up to look like police officers. But can we keep it in the bedroom please.lol.
    On a serious note, I hope Mr baddy criminal types don't mistake them for police officers when the lookalikes are dismounted.
    Last edited by redken1; 19-02-15 at 06:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    Polite vests.... you spelled the last word wrong Trev after the first "n" it's "ker".
    You're so harsh ; ) Agreed looks a bit silly to my eyes but takes all sorts and no where is that more true than among us bikers. Not sure how cool I look when out and about on a hand painted, orange, 70's step thru, I think it makes a 'retro is cool' statement, my wife thinks I look like a pig on a pogo stick : (

Your chicken chaser is retro cool! Borrow my ped then your wife can see pig on a pogo stick (or elephant humping a unicycle as mine says to me).

My harshness to the polite pillocks is more related to the behaviour I have seen people wearing them display, 65Mph in the fast lane of the M4 while flashing lights at people undertaking boiled my blood at Christmas time. If they want to have their sad little wannabe copper fantasy fine but keep it in a brothel, not out on a public road irritating people.

I didn't think I dress like a cop, but I do wear a white helmet and hi-viz and have louder can fitted, I just want the Dickheads out there on the road to see and hear me and not hit me,

There's a difference between dressing visible and dressing like this

Complete with white pan euro with added stickers to look like a bacon bike from a distance. Some hi-vis and a loud can is (debatably) safety the above picture is just a wannabe copper fetish, with "safety" waved as an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by theoldbaldone View Post
    I didn't think I dress like a cop, but I do wear a white helmet and hi-viz and have louder can fitted, I just want the Dickheads out there on the road to see and hear me and not hit me,
    Do you think more see/take notice of you looking vaguely police like than if you dressed otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    Do you think more see/take notice of you looking vaguely police like than if you dressed otherwise?

I have noticed a difference with wearing hi-viz, driver's see me sooner, people at junctions wait even when they have time to go, have only started wearing hi-viz this winter, I have only been riding for 3 years in all weathers, my helmet is just white and my hi-viz is a waterproof builders coat which I wear over my leathers.