Notices

Thread: Carb Icing?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If you're getting a shock from the sub frame it has to be HT, so check coils and leads. I had a ZZR1100 and it iced up coming off the Pyrenees into Andorra; it missed, stuttered, popped and banged all the way down. It never became unrideable or 'failed to proceed' but once at lower altitude (warmer temperature) and after a coffee stop all was well for the rest of the trip.
    Orange ones are faster, but red ones are more comfortable!

Had a "fun" morning.

I warmed it up this morning, then once warm gave it some beans in neutral. It happily revved to the redline a couple of times then it began to stutter toward it and do the bouncy revs things.

Pulled tank, airbox, all fairings/panels. Various wires in the loom are damaged, I applied the ultimate fix of tape to the damaged areas. The loom is so old the plastic coating on some wires just crumbles/disintegrates. It's also a law unto itself there are random bits and bits in the wrong place, routed all over the shop, its as if someone had planned to wire in everything bar the kitchen sink at some point.

Close inspection showed some damage on HT lead 1. I don't think it was bad enough to be an issue but as I had a bit of new lead and these leads will get used in the project build I replaced it. Still had the stuttery, hesitant misfire.

Coils. I had a pile of unknown provenance after checking them on the table with a multimeter 2 showed as in spec. Swapped them both with my current coils....... bingo, ragged it round the block a few times and the initial problem was gone. New problem these coils are buggered too, once hot they leave it running on 2 pots.

So I know I need new coils..... wish it had been carb icing, at least that's free!

Only one of the coils will be failing under load, leaving it on two pots. I'd also be surprised if BOTH coils were faulty originally, maybe swap and change until you find a good set?

Nevermind, just read the above message properly showing you tested the rest and they were duff. Shame!

Dan was talking about this tonight. Electric shocks from the frame are not good.

I personally know your bike and the wiring loom. Dan parked (abandoned&#128561 it in my garage for several months. The bag of spare coils that you received had the good and bad mixed in. Or that at least the way I gave them back to Dan.

Since then Dan persuaded me to get back on a bike do i have bought a zzr600 it runs well but one coil sparks from the attachment points to the frame.

One thing to check on the 400 is the main earthing point on the engine. ( above gearbox under carbs) it was clean and tight the last time I saw it, that was some time ago. If it's loose it could explain the shocks.

Hi Nigel, I cleaned the earth yesterday. I think the rear subframe going live may have been related to one of the leads that had split slightly, I replaced it and the subrame no longer shocks.

The coils currently, I have the ones that go crazy at high revs and the 2 from the spare lot that work, which work ok till they get hot then 1&3 stop firing.

They'll do for now, new coils cost more than I can fork out currently. It only needs to last a few more months till I gut it for parts.

How about trading it for a GSXR750K1, I know where there's a nice one going and, for you, I'm sure there's a good price ; )
    Last edited by Trev; 28-01-15 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    How about trading it for a GSXR750K1, I know where there's a nice one going and, for you, I'm sure there's a good price ; )
    Unless the price is £7.98 it's a bit out of my league