Notices

Thread: Wiltshire Bikers Trackday - never been on track? This could be your chance

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    john never forgets.

they don't do noise tests as such but do keep an eye out for any window rattlers. if you have a baffle take it along just in case.

no fuel there so you would need a can with some in, unless you want to ride down into the local village (5 miles away) to top up.

the day is run to normal motorsport regs, flag system, sighting laps etc. this is all explained in the riders briefing though.

they like BOTH parts of your license to be presented when you go to sign in, so you have been warned.

there is no cover there so dig out the hats etc if it's gonna be sunny.

if you are nervous - ASK QUESTIONS, those that have done trackdays would have been in the same position you are so don't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabz View Post
    It's on our own with invited guests (we'll probably invite some of the SWB bunch as we'll struggle with numbers otherwise)

It does mean the onus is on us to get the money in and pay because it's very expensive being a Saturday
    make sure you get the money before you put the name on the riders list, you don't want 10 names down with no money 2 weeks before the day and then have riders bail. It happens all the time. We run it as, your name goes on the riders list when the cash hits the account.

Remember to send any payments to whoever is organising as a friends/family payment. This way there are no charges. You might not think a couple of quid matters but if everyone does it then you are £140 down (2 riders worth) when it comes to bill payment.
    Last edited by billinom8; 14-02-15 at 06:51 PM.

Great advice, really appreciate the help you're giving mate and looking forward to meeting some of the SWB bunch
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

remember, if you nver done a trackday before - you are a novice.

riding on the track can un nerve some faster road riders but can also unleash the beast of your more sedate road riders so treat it as a new experience and respect it and your other users.

don't try to break the lap record (it's 41 seconds at the moment).

please don't do nything to fall out with your bike, it's your best friend, take your time to warm your tyres, learn the lines and treat the throttle and brakes with respect. chances are you won't feel like you are going that fast, in reality you will be but don't spend all your time looking at your speedo. Some people actually cover the speedo as it is a distraction.

if you are that bothered bout it download an app called racechrono. it works using your gps in your phone and will give you lap times, speed etc - THAT YOU CHECK IN BETWEEN SESSIONS.

The only mod you HAVE to do to your bike is fold in or remove the mirrors. you don't have to tape lights, remove number plate etc. the rule is - what's behind you is behind you, only be concerned with what's in front.

when you are on circuit use all of it, it's not the road, make your corners as long as possible, there are cones positioned around Llandow that mark the turning in point, apex and exit point of your turning arc. ride to the cones using the full width. this will give you long, smooth corners.

Quote Originally Posted by billinom8 View Post
    john never forgets.

they like BOTH parts of your license to be presented when you go to sign in, so you have been warned.
    What is this strange alien licence ? Mine only has ONE part, and it's a bit of pinky paper ! Will that do ??
    I only have one vice…I lie.

Diamond Member
    I remember how strange it is at first with no mirrors, especially when moving right across the track into the apex on a bend, all your road riding safety kicks in, especially if you can hear a bike close behind you and you yearn to check behind you.
    When you think about it though it makes perfect sense. At track speeds you have zero time to think about what's behind you and even if you knew, it's dangerous to move your line to get out of somebodies way.
    If the rider behind has 100% responsibility on an overtake it's keeps things simple, what's more, in theory, the rider in fronts line shouldn't change.

I think most TD riders cover their speedo as Simon said, the urge to just have a little peek is very strong at first and you obviously only want to do this at your fastest bit on track - approaching the end of the straight, just the wrong place when you need to get your braking point on target. I know this through personal experience and another Oh**** moment ;-)
    What still amazes me is how such a minute change of concentration can have such big consequences, a glance at a crow near the track, a glance at a Marshall you see on his walky-talky, somebody coming off track at the next bend, can all mean you are approaching "your" bend far to fast when you are on the limit anyway !

Reminds me of how much I love it all, although always at the start of a new season when I haven't been on track for a while I get hot just thinking about it lol I always seem to have another mini nervous switch when I see the sign for the race track, but it's funny, as soon as you get on track it's just mega exciting and all you can think about is going quicker and the guy in front of you.
    I know it's not a "race" but it's still hard not to try to get round the guy (of neither sex) in front, and is always frustrating when somebody flies by you ! It makes me feel better knowing though that it's not just me, it's 95% of the people on track with you :-)

If there is the slightest bit of you that gets a thrill when you open up the throttle - try it, it's awesome !!!

It took me about 2 sessions on my first trackday to get over the weirdness of turning in to a corner without checking if someone is in your blind spot, but it's about trusting the other people on the track and realising that if they're behind you it's their problem to let you turn in.

pop along to swb llandow on june 5th to get a feel of things and try to set any nerves at ease, ask questions, watch what's going on etc.

you won't regret it.

Might well do that mate depending on work