Notices

Thread: Wiltshire Bikers Trackday - never been on track? This could be your chance

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    You're probably right Gerry - I suspect getting Toph on track might unleash a beast!
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Trev /Dabz, It's good to encourage Toph, bet remember he's an ex racer (is there such a thing) so whilst I totally agree that you don't have to push out of your comfort zone, I suspect the chance of him "taking it easy" is slim :-)
    I can sympathise lol
    Good point, although so am I (albeit a long time ago and not a very good one!) and I've managed to tone down the competitive edge on the few trackdays I have done, the trick is to make sure you don't have a competitive bike ; )

the trouble with castle combe is the noise level, anything louder than a mouse fart and you won't be allowed on circuit.

just because you are on a track doesn't mean you have to rag/race/thrash/scream and any other verbs you choose to use. you ride at whatever pace you like. I marshalle there a few years ago and was shoadowing one rider who was doing 56 mph down the straight and 9 mph into the bus stop. It really doesn't matter what your pace so throw that concern out the window, chances are you will ride faster and take more risks just riding to work if you were to put them down on paper.

leathers, yes they have to be worn and zip together, if you don't have them, ask. there might be a few spare sets drifting around the site that you can borrow.

swb did two at llandow last year, one normal in June and one novice day in August. They are both well populated with WBrs, the instructors provided by us were there between sessions to talk or advise if needed to anyone in their group aswell as when out to play.

the chicane at the end of the back straight has enough space to allow one bike to pass through in a straight line, it's there to slow people dow before the corner. there is an 'oh sh!t' lane at the end of the home straight just in case you feel you are going to over shoot (tut tut) or jump off (gerry).

yes the track is short, compared to donny or cadwell but it's the just slightly shorter than mallory but that means you get comfortable on circuit quicker and also you are doing the same corner every 50-70 seconds so you get to practice alot.

as a toe dipping exercise into the world of track llandow is ideal, ok so there are no garages, so take a gazebo. the circuit is run by very friendly people who are more than happy to have a laugh with you and help out.

if this was advertised on swb to help fill the groups you would get like minded and similar ability riders with the same outlook towards their pride and joy.

distance to Llandow is nothing, maybe 100 miles for you. i would advise against riding to a trackday as come the end of the day you are very tired. A lot get together and share vans or trailers. that way you can get 2 or 3 bikes together, split the cost or fuel, driving and rental 3 ways. plus you have people to talk to there and back, adds to the spirit and ecitement of the day.

look to the positive,
    remember there isn't a maximum OR minimum speed,
    no one is born an awesome rider despite what they may tell you,
    at some point it was everyones first trackday,
    you will be surrounded by friends in the same boat - all having fun
    and
    there will be lots of people on hand to make your day fun, fun , fun by helping you out.

Spot on post

I wonder whether we should be looking to join forces with swb and do a novice day in the summer?

What are people's thoughts?

i'll help you out all i can

Good post billinom8, I for one would be up for a shared day.

Good point on riding to the track, I've only done Thruxton and Castle Combe and always ridden, bloody knackered at the end of the day and Llandow would be way too far home for me at end of play (I live near Ringwood). I could probably use the company van but will need a hand heaving the bloody great lump of bike I will likely use in and out of it - unless noise regs allow a MT03 on Leo Vince cans ; )

Im happy to go with the majority vote, always have a good day with Simon and the SWBikers

Maybe join forces with the SWB lot in the spring then and get some definite names down and money in the pot, and a date booked?

In the meantime the track day bunch can keep us up to date in the track days events forum with what they're up to and see what appetites they can wet?

Yep seems like a plan

Chatterbox
    Yep, sounds good
    Everything else is shyte