Notices

Thread: Tips when looking at a bike from private seller

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Tips when looking at a bike from private seller 
    Hi guys,

In a couple of weeks I'll be going to look at a bike I'm interested in. It's a 2 hour drive away, so I want to make the most of my visit there.

I bought my first bike from a garage and had all the warranties and guarantees that come with it. However, the bike I am going to look at in 2 weeks is being sold by a private seller.

What should I be looking for, and what questions should I be asking when I go and look at the bike besides the obvious things of electrics, chain and sprockets, tyres etc?

The bike costs nearly £10k, and he doesn't want me test riding unless he has the cash in his hands, so whats the best way to make sure it runs as it should? I was considering asking him to ride it round the street so I can see / hear that it works as it should. He assures me it is in perfect mechanical and cosmetic condition (besides a couple of stone chips to the lower front).

Thanks for your help guys!

Rob
    "Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out of a moving car window"

2012 BMW S1000RR
    1999 Kawasaki ER500

facebook.com/upshiftmedia

Ive only every bought from private sellers, I usually take someone with me, just for an extra opinion. Service History, make sure it hasn't missed anything major, whens the next one due? If soon, you could ask for a price reduction to cover this.
    Make sure its started cold, not warmed up before you get there. I usually run a background check as well beforehand, and check over the engine/chassis numbers to make sure they match.

Well worth running a background check. Last one i went to look at was a lovely lookimg bike and seemed in great condition. Ran a check and the nice shiny black bike I was looking at was silver according to the check (s) I ran.

Get a good look at the rear shock, particularly if it's hard to access that can give a good window as to if the owner has cared for it beyond paying a Polish guy to wipe over the visible bits.

Few hundred quid no test ride, who cares....... 10K?....... I'd at least want a pillion ride that works up and down the box more than once, that's a lot of money to ride it off in to the sunset and find it jumps out of 2nd.

thats a lot of money without a warranty . do a text check to see if its recorded or has hp on it.
    check chain, try pulling off of sprockets. check fork legs if its been sat on side stand unused the seals can distort.

Diamond Member
    All the above :-)
    I try and find as much about the seller as well, Google street map his house, do a Facebook search, if you can find a bike forum he's on all the better.
    Sometimes you can find out that he's been asking for parts for the bike or asking for help to solve a problem etc.
    I'm buying a trackbike at the weekend but I know when he bought it, what he's bought for it that he lives in a decent area etc. When I met him to have a look at it everything he said was confirmed by what I already knew.
    It gives you a better feeling of confidence.
    Saying all that, I keep my fingers crossed too ;-)
    Hope you like it.

Diamond Member
    You don't mention the brand of bike but I assume for £10K its a fairly new model. Check the manufacturers warranty, for instance, the standard for a BMW is 2 years and automatically transfers to a new owner. Most bikes these days have a forum based around them, so as Gerry says, get on there and do your due diligence on the owner as well as the bike. Try and get someone who knows that particular bike well to go along with you for an opinion if you're not confident to do that yourself. And remember there's always another one around the corner so walk away if your gut tells you to.

Platinum Member
    Pretty good checklist; http://www.therevcounter.co.uk/threa...ying-Checklist

I normally do that, haggle price, give cash to owner on basis bike rides as described, if it does it's a sale, if not and i don't crash it, i get cash back and walk.

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it. I'll definitely do all of the checks mentioned above, and thanks wheelers for some good tips!

Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    Few hundred quid no test ride, who cares....... 10K?....... I'd at least want a pillion ride that works up and down the box more than once, that's a lot of money to ride it off in to the sunset and find it jumps out of 2nd.
    I get that it's a lot of money to spend on a bike without a test ride. I'll definitely want to see it running (and will ask to see a cold start as Wes suggested) and will either ask for a quick pillion ride or to see him ride it round the streets. I'll at least be able to hear the gear changes that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    if you can find a bike forum he's on all the better. Sometimes you can find out that he's been asking for parts for the bike or asking for help to solve a problem etc.
    I originally found the bike for sale on a forum for that specific bike. I've been through all of his post history and can see that he's fixed some of the electronics already in the past and took it in for a recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    You don't mention the brand of bike but I assume for £10K its a fairly new model.
    It's the bike I've dreamed of owning for years, and been saving up for it relentlessly. I haven't seen one up for sale in a very long time! Its a 2012 BMW S1000RR in the rare blue fire colour It looks like it's been meticulously cared for.

2012 BMW S1000RR
    1999 Kawasaki ER500

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch9128 View Post
    Pretty good checklist; http://www.therevcounter.co.uk/threa...ying-Checklist

I normally do that, haggle price, give cash to owner on basis bike rides as described, if it does it's a sale, if not and i don't crash it, i get cash back and walk.
    Hi Mitch, I've just checked out the checklist that you posted - thats a pretty comprehensive list! I'll probably print off a copy and take it with me to fill out.

2012 BMW S1000RR
    1999 Kawasaki ER500