Notices

Thread: Tips when looking at a bike from private seller

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Theres a couple of companies which offer full background checks, the more you pay the more indepth the survey, they do also offer a guarantee covering the results if anything turns out to be incorrect.

Diamond Member
    The HPI check for sure - loads of Beemers are bought on finance. You can also go to your BMW dealer and if you ask nicely they can look up all the service history, recalls etc.

Hi guys,

Viewed the bike on Saturday and it looked immaculate. I've now finished all the checks and they've all come back fine!

I've decided to go for it. I've been dreaming of this bike for 3 years, and saving up for a sportsbike for even longer. It seems unreal that I'll actually be getting it. Hopefully with the help of Conehead I'll get it transported home before the end of the month!

I'll post some pictures when I have it. Excited is not even the word.
    "Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out of a moving car window"

2012 BMW S1000RR
    1999 Kawasaki ER500

facebook.com/upshiftmedia

Woohoo, go for it. Enjoy
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

I'm pleased for you mate - but your last post raises a question...

Have you paid for it yet..?

If yes - is it a good idea to wait a month to get the bike..? Especially when you are exposed to the tune of 10K with a complete stranger..?

If no - what's to stop him selling it to someone else before the end of the month..?

I'm sure you've probably got this covered in some way not mentioned - but just in case...
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakley View Post
    I'm pleased for you mate - but your last post raises a question...

Have you paid for it yet..?

If yes - is it a good idea to wait a month to get the bike..? Especially when you are exposed to the tune of 10K with a complete stranger..?

If no - what's to stop him selling it to someone else before the end of the month..?

I'm sure you've probably got this covered in some way not mentioned - but just in case...
    I've paid him a deposit for the bike (500), and have said I will transport the remaining money to him a day or two before I go to pick it up. Unfortunately Im not free to pick it up for another couple of weeks, or I'd have been and got it already!

It's just one of those things I guess where I've got to make a judgement call and trust him. He seemed like a really genuine guy, so I'm sure everything will be fine. He wasn't planning on advertising it until April, it was pure fluke really that I found it he was considering selling it.

Thanks for your concern though!
    "Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out of a moving car window"

2012 BMW S1000RR
    1999 Kawasaki ER500

facebook.com/upshiftmedia

Quote Originally Posted by MayallRob View Post
    I've paid him a deposit for the bike (500), and have said I will transport the remaining money to him a day or two before I go to pick it up. Unfortunately Im not free to pick it up for another couple of weeks, or I'd have been and got it already!

It's just one of those things I guess where I've got to make a judgement call and trust him. He seemed like a really genuine guy, so I'm sure everything will be fine. He wasn't planning on advertising it until April, it was pure fluke really that I found it he was considering selling it.

Thanks for your concern though!
    Ok - good luck...