Notices

Thread: Average speed cameras

1. Average speed cameras 
    Banned
    Driving along the motorway near Southampton today I noticed that the average speed cameras are now facing the opposite direction which means they can now see our plates

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    Driving along the motorway near Southampton today I noticed that the average speed cameras are now facing the opposite direction which means they can now see our plates
    I take it the lane swapping doesn't work anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntsunlimited View Post
    I take it the lane swapping doesn't work anymore?
    Nope. They sorted that out quite a while ago

Quote Originally Posted by Berniebloke View Post
    Nope. They sorted that out quite a while ago
    Bummer. Did you read about that guy that contested a ticket did his own research and found that the lines on the road we half an inch out - now everyone thats been done on that stretch of road is contesting the conviction.

Quite a lot of the motorway stuff I don't think is turned on. Not that I'd ever speed but I'm very sure the Cameras between Bristol and Cardiff are not operational.

Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    Quite a lot of the motorway stuff I don't think is turned on. Not that I'd ever speed but I'm very sure the Cameras between Bristol and Cardiff are not operational.
    They are on for sure mate, not only when the limit is flashing, but all the time. They must be set with a tolerance, but ive seen plenty of people caught, especially early morning when the roads clear.
    Another place ive seen with fixed average cameras is the elevated 50mph section of the m4 by Port Talbot, there used to be gatsos, but they have been replaced, and the cameras are mounted on the gantry bridges on both sides.

I must have just been very lucky with the Bristol ones and the ones around Newport then.

I know the Port Talbot/Swansea area ones were not actually issuing tickets until recently but now are meant to be fully in action (was on the BBC Wales news at Christmas).

Newport, is that the cameras, gatso type on the gantrys? Plenty of signage but im pretty sure theres only one set each way, still not worth the risk for me personally, got to many gold stars for enthusiastic driving as it is

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Newport, is that the cameras, gatso type on the gantrys? Plenty of signage but im pretty sure theres only one set each way, still not worth the risk for me personally, got to many gold stars for enthusiastic driving as it is
    The Gantry ones. Wasn't aware there was only one camera each way, every gantry has the road markings. Fairly sure they are off or at least not sending tickets as I may have gone through them a few times enthusiastically. From the news about the ones near Swansea it seems they install them and just watch the results for a while before actually starting to enforce anything.

Whenever I go out of Wiltshire to an area full of fixed cameras I always think the driving becomes a lot worse as people constantly brake and speed up for the cameras.

Had the joy of going into London today (thankfully not on the bike), temporary 50 past Southampton onto M3, another session part way up then temporary for last few junctions to the wonderful M25 which had a temp speed limit of 60. Then A4 into town which was chocker and I was lucky if I saw 30. Thank god for cruise control and itunes!!