Notices

Thread: Plugged Tyre - Would you ride on this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Plugged Tyre - Would you ride on this? 
    First off thumbs up to Bike Treads for plugging this while I waited.

However, I've never liked the idea of plugging tyres and only did it because I can't afford to replace it right now. The thing that punctured it went through at an angle so the plug while sealing the hole at the bottom has left a pretty big hole in the meat of the tyre. The photos show it here before and after repair.

Would you ride on this tyre? I'm a bit dubious about it, it may be holding air but it has a bloody big hole in it. Do I just need to MTFU and get on with it?

Hey, I work over at a garage in bath, only do cars but we do punctures everyday-they would have drilled it from the inside out to plug it properly (if you do it from outside in and and nail has gone in at an angle, your not gonna plug the hole and it's still gonna leak) and they use a rubber plug which will wear the same as a normal tyre so it should be ok, the hole that's left looks like where the head Of the nail has been pushed into the tyre but not gone all the way through?

Have ridden bikes with plugged tyres in the past with no problem whatsoever. Had several such tyres when I was riding a VFR800 which is a heavy bike and a sporty ride. Tyres lasted to the end of their natural life - no problem with leaks. It's more of a mindset thing. Just ride to the conditions and try not to think about the plug. A vulcanised plug correctly installed will not cause any issues. Once you've had a couple of rides you will forget it is there.

They repaired it from the inside. I guess it's a MTFU and get on with it then. Just seems odd having a hole there.

Again I'll say thanks to Bike Treads and recommend them to anyone needing this done. No booking made I just turned up and it was done while I waited for £15.

I had Biketreads repair a puncture the exact same on my 9r mate. No issues so far, a good 3-4 months down the line now. If not more. Next time you're going Swindon way do give me a call - I'd love to see the old bike again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I had Biketreads repair a puncture the exact same on my 9r mate. No issues so far, a good 3-4 months down the line now. If not more. Next time you're going Swindon way do give me a call - I'd love to see the old bike again.
    I will do mate, was in Wife's car this time and it was a flying visit as she wanted to go to the sales at the outlet place (I was just the pack-mule to carry bags). Tyre will do for now when I can afford to I'll replace it though I just can't get my head to accept having a big hole in the thing.

Properly done they work fine. I've ridden on plugs before and had no issues.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

I've only ever had one tyre plugged (to date) and decided I would change it at first sign of pressure running low or any hint of high speed 'wobble' or instability. Never had any probelms and ended up running the tyre for another 2k+ miles before replacing as tread was low. My tyre fitter mate had a good dig around at the plug when he took the old tyre off and declared it 'well and truly plugged' after all those miles and about 6 months.

Platinum Member
    I have run several plugged tyres with all of them lasting until the end of their natural life.
    Never had a problem - and I did seriously high mileage at speed.
    As long as it's done properly and the position of the plug is not in a vulnerable area (expert advice of tyre fitter required) - it should be hunky dory.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
    I have run several plugged tyres with all of them lasting until the end of their natural life.
    Never had a problem - and I did seriously high mileage at speed.
    As long as it's done properly and the position of the plug is not in a vulnerable area (expert advice of tyre fitter required) - it should be hunky dory.
    Yeah, about right. There is a load of nonsense written about this contentious matter, most without the knowledge to do so.

Done in the correct manner, by pros, to the suitable puncture, a plug is very successful.

Any doubt, they will not do it. Keep away from cowboys !
    I only have one vice…I lie.