Notices

Thread: Cleaning surface rust from front discs

1. Cleaning surface rust from front discs 
    Hi All,
    just noticed that I have developed a bit of light surface rust on my front discs in garage over the last couple of weeks, not used bike for a while because of weather. Anyone know of best way to clean this off other than taking it out for a bit of hard front braking?. Thanks 😊

Hard braking! It will wear off with use I wouldn't go attacking the discs with anything to take it off any other way.

I usually clean the rust off with a bit of light wd on some kitchen towel if the bikes not going to be used for a while, works fine for me, never had any issues, plus it stops the rust coming back. I do have my bike up on paddock stands as if the bikes away damp it can sometimes lead to the pads binding, on the stands i can give the wheel a bit of a spin when cleaning to stop this happening

Depends how long you plan not too use it, if only a few weeks then should be fine, just gently run the pads over the discs a few times as soon as you're on a nice straight piece of road - with nothing up your chuff of course!

dont use any abrasive or you will end up worse off. also no grease as will contaminate the pads, just as above take for a spin and use the pads to clean

Platinum Member
    I have used spontex light abrasive pads in the past (elbow grease & light soapy water)
    Works a treat and they shine beautifully too
    No probs afterwards either.

Hi, a little light surface rust isn't going to cause any harm to the disc's so it can be left on them. All disc's will develop light surface rust when left damp over a period of time so its perfectly normal. DO not under any circumstances use WD40 on them as it will contaminate the brakes with oil and this is not only dangerous but also can fail an MOT.
    If you feel you have to clean it off the best thing to do would be ride the bike round the block with a few gentle brake applications, failing that then use a green scouring cloth to gently remove the rust

Ive used it lightly( wd) and have never had any problems with the pads/ braking or mot