Notices

Thread: Baggy or tight?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Baggy or tight? 
    I have a fetish for bike gloves. (ok Maybe fetish isn't the right word!)
    I've 18 pairs of gloves that are at my disposal. Some expensive, some cheap. But i still cant figure out which are best in the cold weather. Now i'm not asking you wise ones out there which brand is best because that would start an argument which could potentially go on for months.
    Even after 30 odd years of riding i still cant make my mind up about whether it would be better to wear slightly looser gloves in the winter to let the air circulate inside, or tight gloves to keep the "feel" of the controls.
    I Wouldnt mind knowing what you folks experiences are...
    "the empty can rattles the most!"

https://www.facebook.com/neil.hudd

I don't like wearing gloves too tight, Ive tried the under gloves with my summer ones, didn't work for me at all, I prefer to keep my summer gloves but fit my heated grips, if it gets really bad, then I wear the mechanic type ones under mine, keeps the wet out as well to a degree.

I prefer a snugger fit. I can be a bit heavy handed at the best of times so if I can't feel properly that gets worse.

Im having the same issue mate, the problem I have is that gloves just dont fit. I have large hands and finding ones that fit the web of your index finger and thump just is a nightmare. I rekon loose fit with heated grips is the warmest, but as most have said a bit hit and miss on the controls. but at least you can feel them ...

As the proud owner of three pairs of gloves; I reckon summer gloves and heated grips are the way to go. Well works for me anyway!
    Orange ones are faster, but red ones are more comfortable!

Platinum Member
    If you wear gloves that are too tight you don't heat up an air 'layer' around them
    It's better to have a couple of layers with air gaps between them covered by a windproof external layer.
    Heated gloves are the way to go - I turn mine off as they get too hot!!!

Many moons ago when the bike was my only form of transport, I used to have some silk inner gloves I used to wear. Apparently pilots used to favour these in bygone days. All I know is that they were very toasty. Also given the fact that my Suzuki X1 was restricted to 35mph, wind shear didn't really come into play a great deal.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cuffy View Post
    Many moons ago when the bike was my only form of transport, I used to have some silk inner gloves I used to wear. Apparently pilots used to favour these in bygone days. All I know is that they were very toasty. Also given the fact that my Suzuki X1 was restricted to 35mph, wind shear didn't really come into play a great deal.
    Silk gloves are great - I only wear mine when it's 4 degrees or lower.
    I can thoroughly recommend Keis heated Outer Gloves

Banned
    My baggyish Richa goretex winter gloves aren't as warm and my summer gloves with a pair of liners

I finally invested in some winter gloves after struggling on with summer ones for the last few years. Got me some Triumph whatsits which are slightly too big for my paws - the only bits that get cold are the spaces in the fingertips where my fingers aren't quite long enough to reach the end of the glove. Aside from the fact that I detest winter gloves as I feel like I'm riding with boxing gloves on - they're okay; my fingers don't feel like they'll snap off anymore.
    I've got my heated grips fitted now so I was going to stick with my summer gloves but I'll see

Gloves are the bane of my life - can't seem to get a pair that fit properly, and believe me, I've tried bloody loads
    In loving memory of Mikkie Mahon 8th May 1986 - 28th September 2014. Taken too soon, ride free x
    “I WILL be a story in your head, but that’s ok. We are all stories in the end, just make yours a good one, eh?”