Notices

Thread: Hello from a new rider

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Hello from a new rider 
    Hello all, I’m a new rider from Marlborough – I passed my Mod 2 in August. I’d been learning on and off for around a year; unfortunately I had a complete mental block on the Mod 1 with my U turn more times than I care to mention, so I put training on the back burner for a while, but started again this summer and passed Mod 2 first time – I’m so thrilled to own a bike (a CBR600F).

I did Mod 1 on an ER6N, and Mod 2 on a brand new Gladius, which made the ER6 seem really clunky - and the CBR, too, is very different to the Gladius, which I loved riding, but I wanted something with a fairing. My boyfriend also rides - he’s a bit more of a veteran and has been riding for over 20 years. If you see a girl on a red, white and blue CBR wearing the world’s most dated Dainese leathers in hideous 80s colours (Ebay bargain until I can afford newer), do give me a wave.

Incidentally, how long did it take other newbies to progress to doing big, long ride outs? I’ve only had the bike 4 weeks so have really only been pootling around locally so far, just trying to practice my skills and get used to the bike - I'm still doing the odd idiot newbie thing like leaving an indicator on occasionally, or stalling whilst pulling away etc. It's all falling into place but for now, much longer, faster rides (motorways particularly) still feel a little bit out of my comfort zone, so I’m happy just riding out for an hour or two locally on my own – luckily we’re still having some fairly decent weekends and there are some lovely roads nearby.

Did you start off slowly, or just go for it right away and ride hundreds of miles in one go? I would be interested to hear how others ‘started out’.

LOL i've been riding 30 odd years and i still leave the indicator on! A few people on here will verify that
    Welcome aboard and well done on the test.
    (incidentally Toph had some pretty funky leathers at one point. Might be the same ones )
    "the empty can rattles the most!"

https://www.facebook.com/neil.hudd

I often leave the indicators on, only bike I didn't was the crappy thing I did deliveries with because it had a really loud clicker you could hear through your lid.

Only way to expand your comfort zone is to stretch it so just try to extend your journey length everytime.

Hello and welcome, def not a newb thing, happens to us all, its good to get out on your own to practice the skills, but once you have a go at the group ride, im sure you will enjoy it, theres a ride next month, pop along and give it a go! All welcome

Hi Kate, welcome to Wiltshire Bikers!.
    Well done on passing your test... next month's ride is on Remembrance Sunday to Salisbury, so would be perfect as it's our shortest distance rideout.. join in!

Look in the meets and rideouts section on the forum for details.

....and yes, I had a pair of funky coloured leathers too... but mine weren't Dainese.
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

Iv been riding off and on for ages, I legally obtained my licence last year and spend as much time as possible in the saddle. My first bike was an srad 600, which I brought in Essex and then rode home back to Highworth lol, that was a baptism of fire, m25 on 2 wheels Is a million miles away from 4 wheels. I would just say ride as often as you can, don't force it or try to keep up with others, take it at a pace you are comfortable with and it will come. Maybe ask your fella to lead on a route somewhere at a steady pace and watch his lines etc, my girlfriend got her CBT in march and we go out together and I'm on an R6. She just rides and I watch, I'll give her tips if I feel she needs them, otherwise she just cracks on at her own pace and she says the more time she spends riding the easier it becomes.
    Just keep at it and stay safe
    "look busy......... Jesus is watching you" !!!

Chatterbox
    Evenin Kate

Everything else is shyte

Hi Kate, if you're enjoying the ride just keep going. If you feel out of sorts or it's just not flowing and enjoyable cut the ride short - everyone has times when it's 'just not right'.
    Group riding is not everyones cup of tea, but most enjoy it. Just remember to ride within YOUR comfort zone and capabilities - a good group will always allow catch-up, especially if there is a tailend charlie.

Hi Kate,I passed my test just over a year ago,bought a 650cc Dual sport but found it a bit slow for riding with my mates so after 5months it got relagated to my winter hack and i bought an xjr 1300 a big beast of a bike in Feb,I go riding regular,and went to France with a group for a holiday this year,I've done 10k on the xjr and probably another 4k on the 650cc......ride with people who are more experienced than yourself it will push you slightly and improve your skills,avoid riding with anybody you struggle to keep up with or won't make allowances for your ability/nerves.....but most of all go riding and enjoy it,

hello and welcome just enjoy your riding as people have said and when you do go further or with others then go at your own pace and don't push it too far. You'll get quicker over time without trying to keep up with others