Notices

Thread: New Tyres needed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. New Tyres needed 
    Hi all I'm after bit of advice, I need new tyres, I have a 600 Bandit and it had new'ish tyres when I got it (Bridgestones) 110/70zr17 150/70zr17, I have read to help with handling I can go up 1 size 120 front and 160 rear. There are lots of different tyres and so many places to buy them from, the main help I need is to make a short list, I use my bike for work and ride all weather (but have not ridden in snow). I am looking for long ware and good grip in wet (ride home tonight was a bit scary) but I am on a tight budget, I have seen some sets, if anyone has used these and can give a quick review it would be good, Avon AV56 Storm 2 Ultra, Metzeler Roadtec Z6, Michelin PILOT ROAD 2, Pirelli Angel GT. Thanks in advance

Ive used michelin pilot power in the single compound and they were very good, both dry and wet grip, and the wear was excellent too, so the pilot road 2 should be equal to or better than this.
    Last edited by Wes; 07-11-14 at 08:08 AM.

I've got Pilot Road 1, PR2 are an upgrade so I'd assume they are pretty good. Compared to the supermaxx things that were on my bike the PR are great soon as they were on there the bike felt like it went through corners a lot easier. Wear is good too put them on around June or July and must have racked up a fair few thousand miles since then, they barely look used.

You may want to look in to the thing about bigger tyres on the rim. I read somewhere that in some cases this can actually reduce your contact patch due to the shape the tyre will get forced in to.

front 110/70/17 rear 150/70/17 standard or a lot change to 120/60/17 160/60/17.

dont go over wide as may get fouling on swing arm or chain. Bridgestone BT021 on the front and matching on the rear was always a good option. dont mix brands or compounds.
    as has been said else where on the forum, dont cheat on tyres as its your only point of contact with the road. part worns arent any cheaper in the long run unless you can pick up a pair of scrubbed ones. best place Ive found on line is Busters on ebay, thay are part of M&P and sell tyres with free post cheaper than I can buy in the trade.

Have a chat with Carson Tyres, Melksham, good service great prices and they're bikers so can give you some decent advice even if you choose to buy elsewhere.
    Orange ones are faster, but red ones are more comfortable!

I've got Bridgestone Road Attacks on my Fazer 1000 and ride in all conditions and find them excellent.
    not the longest wearing tyre though... My last rear lasted about 5000 miles, but great grip in the wet.
    As to the use of larger tyres, I put wider tyres on my CBR600 a while back and it handled like a pig... quickly changed 'em back!
    Last edited by Toph; 07-11-14 at 05:52 PM.
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

Platinum Member
    PR michelins are the dogs gonads.
    The best wet grip you'll ever get - I wouldn't do any other make as they seem to suit Suzi's particulary well
    (I have a GSXR)

Oh - and I wouldn't bugger around on widths by the way (your contact patch can be reduced - not good with winter on the way!)

Quote Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
    Oh - and I wouldn't bugger around on widths by the way (your contact patch can be reduced - not good with winter on the way!)
    Too true. It's not like having an extra ½ inch on a car tyre. I'd leave well alone.
    I only have one vice…I lie.

Thanks all, think I will stick with standard size.

Have found a cheap site for tyres if anyone is looking, http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/