Notices

Thread: Losing my nerve

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Losing my nerve 
    Don't get me wrong, I would ride my bike all day long if I could afford it but just recently I have found that I am losing my nerve with riding in the dark. I am not sure if it me or the tyres that I have lost confidence in and I am unable to afford a new set of tyres till the current BT021's have got down to the line. Saying that, I am fine during the day but find the bike twitchy in the wet, especially the front. I have had the light checked and re-checked and the aim is spot on but when riding it feels like it is to the left and too low as I think it only gives me about 30-40yds vision to the main part of the beam on the road. It is a powerful light bulb x2 as twin lights so that is not the issue.

Is there anything you helpful lot could recommend other than getting more dark riding time which I dont really have the time or confidence for.
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

Have you had your eyes tested recently? It could be you need glasses for night time driving/riding.

What wattage bulbs? I think standard H4 are something like 55/50W, you can buy 100/90W I was considering one as my headlight is a bit pants too. Changing the colour of white can make an impact as well, I used to hate riding at night on my 125 and 250 with their crappy 35W standard yellowy white bulbs, I changed them to a much "whiter" light and the improvement was good.

Twitchy front may not be just tyres, could be suspension setup or even worn bearings.

Know how you feel, even though I've been riding for years I only feel comfortable riding at night on smaller/slower bikes, considering the ones I have are older with inferior lights and suspension it must be more about me than the bike. Have to say that I've not commuted on a bike for nearly 30 years and don't often ride at night by choice so for me undoubtedly a case of more practice if I want to shake the feeling, you may be the same.

We must get out for that ride out as we're only down the road from each other, maybe an excuse for a night ride?

I had exactly this on my old TT600, didn't know if it was the bike or me losing my nerve. In the end I asked someone to ride it for me and they immediately identified the tyres weren't great (also BT-021's!) and the head bearings needed doing.

Might be worth asking someone you trust to have a spin on it and give their verdict?
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

if the tyres are on the old side the walls or carcase could be collapsing, pressures good? fork seals ok? when was the fluid changed and bushes checked?
    any play in the rear shock linkage as could be unsettling the chassis.
    as for the headlight, go for a HiD conversion, would need to swap for MOT

I know this might sound strange, but lack of confidence in the dark can sometimes be due to lack of good visibility, which could require night time glasses as suggested or something as simple as a new visor?
    A lot of small scratches on the visor can make everything that you see not clear, but in the daytime seem fine. Also have the bike checked over as suggested as well.

Cheers for all the advice. Here are the answers. I appreciate everyones feedback and will give some a try. If you think of anything else do let me know.

I am running twin white lights think they were 55's so will try upgrading to 90's.
    It might also be the visor, good shout as never thought of that.
    My eyes are spot on as I used to wear glasses but had the op a few years back and have regular eye tests.
    I doubt it is the bearings or setup as day riding is fine.
    Pressures are what they normally are.
    Tyres are only 1.5 yrs old.
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

Unfortunately I ride long distance's during the winter months in the dark 50 miles plus each way over 4 years experience. I find that my nerve changes day by day. Some of it is psychological but it is mostly when my tyres get to 2/3rds worn. Generally however many corners I do they tend to flattern out. This leaves a cliff on the edge that drops the bike more suddenly until the bike leans over further. This I hate but have to put up with.
    One thing that does help is to remember to relax, stop trying to dent the tank with my knees squeezed tight.
    I ride an ST 1050 and I am staggered how sure footed the Bridgstone BT 30 GT is...
    I think it also shows how in tune you are with your bike, noticing how much of a difference tyres make.
    Counting down until my next ride out!

Hi there, from what you have said it sounds like it's maybe a mental issue. Some people have a twitch then get into their head there is something wrong with the bike and just cannot get it out of their head after that. Riding at night does rely a lot more on feel from the bike as your vision is so reduced and also it's reached the time of year where it's wet and cold and this does effect how your bike will feel and ride.
    BT021s are a good all round tyre but as with all tyres they do have a sweet spot so to speak which is the point where they operate at their best, this is not only temperate related but wear related too and once they wear past a certain point their performance begins to decrease.
    If it's any help pop the bike down to us and we can certainly give it a good once over and check everything for you. If we find anything we think may effect how the bike will feel or ride we can price up to repair or replace anything needed.