Notices

Thread: Losing my nerve

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I had the same feeling with my FZ6 totally crap lights! got some 100w philips specials and the difference is amazing much brighter and whiter so helps pick out pot holes and badgers much earlier. I would get about 40m on the old lamps these are more like 80 (reasonable illumiation on a dark lane). I also switched from contisports to PR4s as I am mostly commuting. These are amazing in the wet and on loose stuff (leaves gravel etc) no notice difference for commuting in wet and dry. Stopping time is awesome (maybe the new brake pads mind you!). I had a deer run out in front of me going through farleigh hungerford on night in the pissing rain managed a awesome unexpected stoppie (no spectators unfortunately) but the front never lost grip, did wonders for night riding my self confidence though! I also wear glasses for the night runs, I dont need it for the gov criteria, it does make me feel more confident with long distance vision as I have one slightly dodgy eye, I would recomend getting checked out. I am very unfashionable, I have a police like fluorescent jacket and lid, both of which make people double take at night which often prevents them pulling out in front or doing something silly I find it really works.

Platinum Member
    Tyres are 'the most important' thing on your bike.
    They are the only thing in contact with the road surface.
    Bearing in mind that our climate is about 80% wet and 20% dry it is I believe very sensible to use tyres that are better suited to wet conditions. With this in mind I switched to Michelin Pilot Road 3's about a year ago.
    These tyres are great (best tyres I have ever used)
    They last a very long time and don't do 'White line Shimmy' (even though I have tried to induce it by braking on a wet White line)
    Trust me - these tyres might increase your confidence at anytime of the day (and in all weathers)

Noticed the same problem years ago when driving the car. Although I found out I needed glasses the optician explained that we rely on colour during the day but at night everything's monochrome, which makes a massive difference in the way your brain processes the information. May be worth asking an expert, if you haven't already.

I'm hoping to try my bike out this weekend. I haven't ridden it for 10 weeks plus due to having sciatica and I'm a bit nervous.
    I'm going for a quick pootle around Trowbridge, North Bradley, Southwick etc.. (slowly) before attempting to go out with my wife.

If you spot me give an encouraging wave. Cheers Kev

Quote Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
    Tyres are 'the most important' thing on your bike.
    With this in mind I switched to Michelin Pilot Road 3's about a year ago.
    These tyres are great (best tyres I have ever used)
    Big shout out from me as well for PR3's, have them on my Gixer11 and NC700X and can't rate them highly enough, will try the 4's out on the NC when (if!) the 3's wear out

Update: I have been using a hand held tyre pressure gauge to check pressures and it kept reading correct. Went to garage today to check with their gauge and both my front and rear were 6 bar under. Feels loads better now and more planted just got to get my confidence back in the tyres. Shouldn't take long.

Now just to get brighter bulbs and new visor.

Thanks for all your help. Thought I was losing it.

I have a double-barreled foot pump, a single and a mini. Also a digital gauge and a good old pop-out one. Can't get any two to coincide. Same tyre ranges from 36 psi to 50. Would not trust a fuel station one.
    I only have one viceā€¦I lie.

Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Burbler View Post
    I have a double-barreled foot pump, a single and a mini. Also a digital gauge and a good old pop-out one. Can't get any two to coincide. Same tyre ranges from 36 psi to 50. Would not trust a fuel station one.
    That is a huge differential. I suppose the best way to judge is if it feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinb View Post
    I'm hoping to try my bike out this weekend. I haven't ridden it for 10 weeks plus due to having sciatica and I'm a bit nervous.
    I'm going for a quick pootle around Trowbridge, North Bradley, Southwick etc.. (slowly) before attempting to go out with my wife.

If you spot me give an encouraging wave. Cheers Kev
    Managed to get out Sunday. Went out on my own and it felt like I had never been off of it. Still had to take it easy so I didn't twist my back. Then went to the farm shop Beckington with my wife.
    Was that you Rosie waving madly?

Nice one Kev, glad it went well, CH ive bought some phillips ultra vision bulbs, fitted them and tbh dont notice too much difference, dont love riding at night, but not fazed by it either, just have to roll off the berries a bit to stay in the comfort zone.