Notices

Thread: Is there any better road to ride within 25 miles of Swindon than ..............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Is there any better road to ride within 25 miles of Swindon than .............. 
    The Newbury to Wantage Road?
    Counting down until my next ride out!

My money is on the A361. Big, fast, sweeping bends, beautiful countryside and some great pubs/cafés en route.

The A4 from Corsham too the sainsburys roundabout at Chippenham, A killer crossroads, a 50mph straight section, a unbelievably steep hill and a sweeping bend too a massive roundabout what a rush all in 2 miles, a must for an adrenaline junkies.

Sandridge Hill comming out of Melksham towards Bromham , past the school at the bottom at 30 then wind through the climb and bends then a fast straight.

When I've ridden to Birmingham, I've always enjoyed the A419 and A417 as I pass Swindon and use them to get to the (boring) M5. Favourite Wilts roads though I have no idea of the names I like to just randomly ride the small less used roads

good road is the Marlborough to Pewsey road, not sure of its name, also the s-bends outside of Burbage towards Tidworth. A good ride is from swindon, out to Marlborough, on to Pewsey, then out towards Upavon, then either loop round back to Tidworth, or out to Amesbury. You could even just go from Pewsey, out towards Devizes, then out towards Lyneham, or back via Marlborough. Just be careful as the roads can get quite crudded up with dirt from farmers fields,
    "look busy......... Jesus is watching you" !!!

My favourite is the B4192 from Hungerford to Aldbourne and then to Marlborough via Stock Lane/Axford. A challenge to do a "brisk" 60 all the way, except through the villages of course.

It's a bit further than 25 miles, but I love the A46 from the M4 to the Bath Easton bypass. Lovely twisties, great views, unfortunately a couple of speed cameras though

That section is a 50mph now I think, 40 in some places, with shellgrip and rumble strips on the big bends

I like the Seend bends, not a long section but good fun
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

Fish hill.