Notices

Thread: David's story

Threaded View

Platinum Member
    As long as people are talking about it - that's the main thing and what his parents want.

My view is that the car driver is to blame for the accident, but the biker has severely reduced his chances of avoiding the accident or reducing the severity of the crash due to excessive speed.
    As others have mentioned there can be unavoidable things that happen - like a deer jumping out at the last minute. That's an inherent risk that up you have to accept if you ride a bike.
    In this case there is time to react (and he does verbally react), so at slower speed the severity could have been reduced if not avoided altogether. That does not mean that what the car driver did was ok, simply that he reduced his options severely by doing 97mph.

None of us are perfect and I'm sure lots of us get away with many things.
    I make mistakes all the time, but I try to allow enough contingency to allow for both my mistakes and those of others.

Btw - I think I'd consider 60 too fast for passing that junction for my own eyesight/reactions/skill level considering the layout.

I welcome all the discussion.
    Whether we agree with all the points or not, the parents made the difficult decision of publishing it so we'd all talk/think about it.

Boris bike next week (@/#% - did I just admit to being a cyclist !!)
    Last edited by Ducatista; 14-09-14 at 01:11 PM.